C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rayna Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 19:01:19 +0800
Anthony,

I completely understand your excitement!!!  It's so much better to be
able to wash your own clothes, because they are such personal items.
I have a home help that does most of the housework for me, washing
dishes, cleaning and washing floors, kitchen and bathroom, dusting and
ironing and all the other heavy difficult cleaning that it would take
up too much physical energy and strength to do (and this is only for
two hours a fortnight - I do little bits of basic tidying myself,
should probably have more help, but there is a limit to how much I can
have people around before I climb the WALLS!!!), and whilst I'm okay
with her washing sheets and towels, I like to be able to wash my
clothes myself, it feels like too personal and intimate a thing to
allow anyone else to do.  But I don't mind her doing the ironing,
although she would iron my underwear and sheets if I let her, but I
think that's a bit too much!!
Washing one's own clothes may seem like such a small thing to most
people, but it really is an important part of independence, I've
found.  What a good way to start the new year, Anthony!

Rayna