C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barry Ashby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 15:46:13 -0400
Hi,

I have a 4 year old with CP who is non-verbal (we are trying to use the
sign for bathroom).  We are still in the middle of potty training.  He goes
to a pre-school where they prefer that he wear pull-ups.  They started with
symbols for "wet" and "dry" to make sure he understands the concept and to
start being aware of when he urinates.  However, Pull-ups are just like
diapers and it is almost impossible to feel wet and dry.  We now put real
underwear on him (when these are wet he feels it and his accuracy
indicating wet and dry increased dramatically) but we put a diaper over
them (cheaper than pull-ups).  This way, if there is an accident then his
clothes stay dry, the pre-school teachers don't need to change his clothes
and he isn't embarrassed in front of classmates with wet clothes.  Are 4
year olds embarrassed?  Anyway, now we are working on a scheduling program
and trying to teach him to communicate his need to go to the bathroom.

Just a suggestion.  Good luck,
Kim