VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Judi Piscitello <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Judi Piscitello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:38:14 -0500
Hi, Folks!
The following is the original of the request that Jody shared earlier.
It contains the e-mail address of Cheree Daley, to whom we should
respond.  Thanks!
- Judi

I have been asked to assist in making some online content accessible
for people with visual impairments.  I am asking now for your
assistance
in this regard by responding to the following request.  Please respond
to Ms. Daley at

using "Accessibility: PDF Versus HTML for CultureGrams"
as your subject line regarding preferences for accessible PDF, HTML or
some other format for online documents.
Thanks in advance for your help!
- Judi

My name is Cheree Daley, a Web Software Engineer for ProQuest
Information and Learning located in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  I assist in
the web development of CultureGrams, country reports for 182 cultures
of
the world. (You can view a demo at
http://www.culturegrams.com/demo/index.php
- we're in the middle of upgrading our product to meet accessibility
requirements, so please forgive our demo. :-)

For our online reference, we're researching the advantages and
disadvantages of offering either:
        1. An accessible PDF country report
        2. A regular PDF country report (for users who do not need the
accessible version) and a complete HTML document of the country report
(for those who require an accessible version)

The PDF I'm referring to can be found by visiting
http://www.culturegrams.com/demo/world/world_country.php and selecting
the "Printable Version" link in the top right corner.

I'm looking for opinions that will determine what we offer in regards
to accessibility for our product.

Please answer the following specifically (list "Accessibility: PDF
Versus HTML for CultureGrams" as your subject line):

1. Do your accessibility needs users prefer PDFs, HTML or something
else (with regards to online documents)? Why?
2. If you prefer an HTML document, would you like a jpeg map at the
top
(similar to the map found in the PDF) or just text?
3. What screen readers are you using?

Additionally, if you're interested in being an accessibility beta
tester for our CultureGrams Online Database/Reference, please send me
your name, title, and contact information. (Please list
"Accessibility:
Beta Tester" as your subject line.)

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Regards,