VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 19:33:23 -0500
Chicago Daily Herald

March 20, 2003, Thursday DuPage

Universal access system debuts in Naperville

    A computer system that could revolutionize handicap accessibility in
libraries is making its debut in Naperville. Naperville-based Assistive
Technologies and Access for All unveiled the AccessInfo System Wednesday
at the downtown Nichols Library. The workstation will remain at the
library on a trial basis for the next three months.

    "We know we have both an obligation and commitment to serve the
people in our community with handicapping conditions and we're doing all
we can to show that," said Donna Dziedzic, executive director of the
Naperville Public Libraries. The system - and extensive librarian
training on it - is part of the libraries' new universal access service
concept, which strives to provide all patrons with equal access to
library facilities.

    Developed over the course of a year, the AccessInfo System features
a large-type keyboard, ergonomic seating, a fingertip adjustable table
and a track ball mouse.

    If a patron has orthopedic problems and can't type easily, a voice
recognition system types for him or her - at 150 words per minute.

    Don Dalton, president of Assistive Technologies, has been a
quadriplegic since a swimming accident 34 years ago. He said the voice
recognition program helps him just as much as it helps his clients.

    "The biggest thing I lost on that day in July of 1969 was my
independence," he said. "Anything that I can do to help myself become
more productive and increase my independence helps make me feel like a
different class of citizen."

    As a small crowd of curious patrons gathered around the workstation
Wednesday, Dalton and Access for All President Audrey Gorman
demonstrated the system's benefits.

    There's a magnifying program for patrons with sight problems, an
adjustable screen for those who have limited mobility in wheelchairs and
editing and reading help for those with learning disabilities.

    If a computer user is blind or has severe sight problems, a software
program enables the Web to talk to him or her while he or she browses.

    "It's a whole system designed to help everyone in the community get
to information more easily," Gorman said. "Naperville is the No. 1
library in the country. Why not give this great system its national
debut here?"

    For the next three months, Nichols Library will use the system for
free. During that time, software will track how often it's used, said
Olya Tymciurak, the libraries' assistant director for public services.

    At the end of that time, Tymciurak hopes to find local funding,
including grants, so the libraries can keep the $19,500 system.

    Right now, only Niles Public Library has bought two systems, but
Dalton and Gorman said they hope other libraries will follow suit -
including Naperville.

    Demonstrations by library personnel are available upon request or by
appointment through May 31.