VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Martin Courcelles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Martin Courcelles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 13:56:47 -0400
Hello Doreen and friends:
There is a much easier and simpler way of reading PDF files off of the
internet.  First download the PDF. When your cursor is placed on the
link where the PDF is located, press your right mouse button (Jaws right
mouse button is to the left of the pc cursor button on your keypad).
Then press a to choose save target as.  A filename will come up for the
file.  You can replace it with whatever you wish as long as you keep the
.PDF extension.
Press enter to download.  Remember where the file is being downloaded.
After the download is done, go to Outlook express and create a new
message to the following address: [log in to unmask] Don't write anything
in the subject or the body.  Simply attach the previously downloaded
file.
To do this press alt I for insert and then press enter on file
attachment.
You will then type in the filename and its location.  If you forgot
where the file was, you can look for it by pressing shift tab and using
your up and down arrows to look in the present folder.  If you want to
change the folder where you are looking in, press shift tab until you
hear "look in" and then use your up and down arrows to browse through
the folders.
When you have found the file, press enter and Outlook will attach the
file to your message.  Press alt s to send.  In a few minutes you will
get a text translated transcript of the PDF files.

This is a long-winded explanation, but after a few tries the process
will come to you very quickly.
Kurzweil will read PDF files, but not the way I like it to be read.  I'm
not sure about Open Book.
I gave up on the Adobe Reader because it kept crashing my computer.
Hope this helps.
Martin