VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 07:49:18 -0400
Mike,

I don't doubt that the hardware issues can be overcome just like you
suggest below.  But the simple fact is, that RS232 has nothing to do with
what gets pushed across it.  And there is no one protocol that encompasses
everything that gets pushed across.  Think of all the different
peripherals that you can plug into a serial port.  Can you imagine that
they all talk exactly the same thing?  Why do you think you have to tell
JFW or WindowEyes what speech synth you have when you install it?  You
don't just say, "I have an external synth attached to com1" and expect
your screen reader to know exactly how to talk to your synth.  Although,
there are now better protocols for that.

That's why you have protocols like TWAIN for scanners.  TWAIN is a
protocol for scanners.  There are other protocols for other devices.  But
there is no one protocol for every device talking to a computer via an
RS232.

Remember that it isn't necessarily just ASCII text being pushed across an
RS232.  Anything can be pushed across there: an image, data, audio,
whatever.  The computer needs to know what kind of device it is talking to
and it needs to know how to talk to that particular kind of device.
That's what a protocol is.

Hope this helps.

Blue skies.
Dan Rossi