VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karyl Loux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karyl Loux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:30:06 -0400
I agree with Steve, but I go one step further.  I use the reply all choice,
then I go into the to box and delete the name of the individual.  I do this
because if you don't the individual will get two copies of your message, one
from the list and one specifically addressed to them.  So, it just makes it
nicer on the person receiving the message not to get 2 copies.  Yet, there
are times when I know that a message doesn't need to be seen by the whole
list, and then I just reply to the individual by hitting reply.

There are individuals out there that have really good knowledge to share but
they simply don't want to present it public.  Having a list set so that such
an individual doesn't accidentally make a public statement that should be
private is not a bad thing.  I know of someone who recently wanted to
respond to an individual on a list that sends responses to the whole list.
He just hit reply, made his remark, and then wiped some egg off his face.
If you are likely to do this accidentally the way the VICUG list is set is
better.  It just takes paying attention to what is in your to box, and it is
a good policy to check that anyway.

Karyl