VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:02:56 -0600
Well it took a bit of digging, but here's how to get rid of the windows
login.  I take it that's what you really want to do.

First, make sure you don't have a windows logon password setup.  Go into
the start menu, settings, control panel, and passwords.  Select "change
windows password".  If you have a password setup, enter it in the "old
password" box, and leave the "new password" and the "re-enter" fields blank
and click "ok".

Now, from "control panel", go into "network".  On the Configuration page,
go to "Primary Network Login" and select "Windows Login".  Click "ok", and
it will eventually prompt you to reboot.  It may even install some stuff,
and I suppose you could be asked for the Windows CD somewhere in there
before the reboot.

Also, before clicking ok, you may want to turn off any file sharing you
have.  You can do this with the dialogue you get with the "file sharing"
button on the network configuration screen.

The next reboot should come up with no login screen.

I hope this helps.  That login prompt is a pain if you don't need it.  I
used to have a registry tweak for removing the login prompt, but I couldn't
find it, and searching the registry didn't bear fruit.  I'm using
Windows/98 by the way.  Your milage will probably vary depending upon your
version of windows.

--
Jim Shaffer
home phone:  (512)989-5701