VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Scott Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:29:56 -0800
Hi.  I'm wondering if any of you would know of technology that might help
me with my qualitative analyses for my dissertation.  I have been unable to
find a commercially available qualitative software program that is
accessible with Jaws.  As an alternative, I am wondering whether there are
any programs available that allow you to manipulate digital audio in ways
that would achieve my ends.  In particular, I need to segment text into
coding units (typically phrases or sentences) and then assign codes (a
category label) to each unit.  Then I need to be able to retrieve units of
text attached to the same coding label.  As well, I need to be able to
change category labels and also merge them.

        to give a concrete example, I might identify several instances of "print
access barriers" in a given interview.  To each such unit of text, I would
attach the label "print access barriers".  Later, I might want to retrieve
all instances of "print access barriers".  I also might want to rename the
category "access barriers" and/or merge it with the category "computer
access barriers".

        Would any of you know of any digital audio technology that might have such
functionality?

Thanks,
Scott Feldman

Scott Feldman
The University of Illinois at Chicago
312-355-1120

The reasonable man [sic] adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

-George Bernard Shaw.