VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nan Hawthorne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 18:54:59 -0800
Hello again!

I am writing an article for employers on what different causes of vision are
like.

I'm hoping to help them understand the variety of eye conditions and more
importantly, to give them a practical idea pf what it "looks like.  I want
them to better be able to imagine what different low vision people can and
can't see so that they don't continue to believe blindness is always total.
I also want to give them a chance imagine what each condition is like from
OUR side.

If you have LOW VISION, are partially sighted, please drop me a note at:

and tell me:

1. What your eye condition is called.
2. What part of the eye is affected.
3. If you look at an 8" by 10" photograph, what do you see?  Not see?
4. What work tasks present a problem for your vision?
5. What adaptive tools do you use?
6. What can a supervisor do to reduce problems for your vision?

Here is an example:

1.  I have Stargardt's Disease
2.  It affects the macula which is part of the retina
3.  Most of the picture is very indistinct and some is obscured.,  I "see"
it all but very fuzzy or completely mixed up.
4.  Reading print.  Filing.
5.  I made myself a "paperless office" and only use things I can read on a
computer with screen magnification and reader.
6.  Give me print material via email or on a disk.

I will only use your first name if I quote you.

I need your reply by Wednesday, December 5.

It is for an article in eSight Careers Network www.eSightCareers.net

Warm Regards,

Nan Hawthorne, Staff Writer    [log in to unmask]
eSight Careers Network™
Where blind and visually impaired people share the tools they need to
develop and succeed in rewarding careers.
www.eSightCareers.net
Seattle office: 206-418-9980  [log in to unmask]