VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:56:02 -0500

From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 8:34 AM
Subject: media: AbleTV's webcast of CSUN keynote address . . .

Here is hoping that I am getting this email out with enough time for
everyone to have an opportunity to join in and participate in the
webcast.
Please remember that you need to have the Real G2 version 8 basic or
plus
player installed on your computer in order to view the webcast.  I would
also appreciate it if this message could be cross posted onto other list
serves where it hasn't been viewed yet.  Thank you in advance and I look
forward to many of you participating in tomorrow's event.

Jeffrey Pledger
President, AbleTV.net

                                    -3-

                                  -more-

For Immediate Release

Tuesday, March 20, 2001

           AbleTV.net to Simulcast John Hockenberry Keynote live
      Global participation expected in Accessible Interactive Webcast
  Wednesday, March 21, 2001 @ 7:25 AM PST at http://www.abletv.net on
the
                          TVWorldwide.com network

Los Angeles, CA - AbleTV.net, the premier web-based TV channel for
people

with disabilities on the TVWorldwide.com network announced today that it

plans to simulcast a keynote speech given by John Hockenberry. The
keynote

will be simulcast to the worlds largest "Technology and Persons with

Disabilities" conference being held in Los Angeles and FOSE, the largest

government IInformation TTechnology (IT) conference and showcase in the

world taking place in Washington DC. The webcast will feature
AbleTV.net's

captioned video streaming or "Webcapting" process to assist online

participants with disabilities who will have the opportunity to either

watch just the video or watch the video and participate in online chat.

Hockenberry, a two-time Peabody Award winner and "Dateline NBC"

correspondent will address an audience of 3,000 people gathered at the

Airport Hilton in Los Angeles and 20,000 attendees of FOSE.  Two-hundred

Assistive Technology (AT) vendors are participating in the CSUN
conference.

Three-hundred fifty Telecommunications and Information Technology IT

vendors are participating in FOSE.

"This could not be a better time to be a professional in the field of

disability and Assistive Technology," said Bud Riser, Director, The
Center

on Disabilities at California State University, Northridge and host of

CSUN's annual conference. Riser further stated, "Our conference was

designed to increase awareness on the part of the general public
regarding

the basis principles of Assistive Technology, legislation and the

proliferation of new low-cost consumer and professional technologies."

The webcast will be directed by Jeff Pledger, President of AbleTV.net,
who

lost his sight 17 years ago due to illness.  "We are pleased to provide

captioned streaming for this live event," remarked Pledger. "This

accessible webcast is just another example of how AbleTV.net is
assisting

not only people with disabilities, but all people to have access to

important events. We are very excited about the opportunity to simulcast

this event between CSUN and FOSE."

The program will be archived with the captioning for later viewing after

the webcast at http://www.abletv.net. Participants should have the free

Real Player installed prior to the event.

About TVWorldwide.com and AbleTV.net

In addition to being a video streaming service provider, The

TVWorldwide.com is building a network of community-based Internet TV

channels, each underwritten by a strategic partner, "aimcasting" to

targeted B2B and special interest audiences worldwide. TVWorldwide.com
has

worked with one of its first aimcast channels, AbleTV.net, to pioneer
live

and archived video streaming with closed captioning and audio
description

to aid web site accessibility for the disabled. With this advance,

AbleTV.net received its charter sponsorship from Microsoft Corporation.

TVWorldwide.com received first round financing from PSINet Ventures,
Ltd.,

the wholly-owned corporate unit of PSINet, Inc. (Nasdaq:PSIX)

Contacts:

TV WorldWide.com, Inc.
http://www.tvworldwide.com
 (703) 961-9250