From:
Tom Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 00:32:46 -0800
Yes. This does work! I was able to get rid of a very bad acting win98SE
and keep everything else on the computer by doing this. Before I did
this, the OS would not even run because there were certain files
missing. When I would try to start the machine, I would get a "System
Halted" message.

I was able to use a startup disk to get into DOS and was able to deltree
Windows completely. After that, I just went into the standard
installation off of a CD and installed a "fresh" (clean) version of
Windows. Worked great, and didn't loose any information.

The biggest problem was that I had to go back through and reinstall
every single program that was not part of Windows, so that the programs
would be registered with Windows.

I honestly don't know what you mean by, "'refurbish' it with a
known-to-be-good cabfile". When you do the full, clean install, it would
already have (or should, anyway) a good cabfile.

   Tom

Ian wrote:

> Over the last couple of years, I've often used 'scanreg /restore' to fix
> busted W98's. These restores have been with varying degrees of success,
> sometimes it's worked perfectly, sometimes not so good - it probably has a
> lot to do with the cabfile used for the restore.
> But there's an application of this system I've never tried, and I'm
> wondering if anyone here has managed to make it work.
> It strikes me that it should be possible to deltree Windows after a
> particularly bad crash, reinstall it, (not an 'over-the-top' but a full,
> clean install) then 'refurbish' it with a known-to-be-good cabfile.
> Anyone tried this?
> Ian Porter
> Computer Guys
> Arrowtown