From:
Tom Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:57:05 -0800
If the LEDs are lighting up, I highly doubt that the power supplies are
bad. Especially "all of them". I'm guessing that these computers were
networked together, when they "did" work? Can you boot the machines with
a Windows Startup Disk and get into DOS mode? If so, I think you might
want to try re-installing (or installing) Windows98. Let us know!

   Tom

"Pullen, Paul (NIA/IRP)" wrote:

> I have 8 systems that were purchased about a year and a half ago for our
> Church's school. We had to close the school, so we are trying to give them
> to congregation members with children to use, as well as the school software
> we purchased for them. They consist of 400 MHz PentiumIII processors, have 4
> gig hard drives, 64 megs of memory, and run Win 98.
>
> I had the machines running one day, and turned them off. We are presently
> trying to find homes for the machines, and I have now powered each one up
> again to verify that it still works, only to find that they do absolutel
> nothing. Sunday, I tried to give one more to a new home only to have no
> power on the machine. (The monitors come on, as well as the speakers. I see
> lights on the network card, and when I opened one unit up, it had a LED lit
> on the mother board.) Is this just a failure of the power supplies that the
> non-profit assembler of parts puts together for schools?
>
> It appears that the machines all use ATX power supplies, having just a
> momentary contact push switch to "power" the machine. Any ideas what I
> should look at to try to isolate the problems? So far, I have not had a
> voltmeter when I have been with the machines, but next trip (this weekend) I
> will be carrying one.
>
> Thanks for your assistance and ideas.
>
> Paul Pullen
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners: