From:
John Beaulieu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:42:05 -0400
I was experiencing the same problem when connecting using Windows Dial Up
Networking (not using any ISP's software) - I found I had to reconnect and
then disconnect again, which would usually work. I use ME for the OS.

I then changed ISP's  a number of months ago and began using it's software
( AT&T Worldnet's which is quite unobtrusive and has some great options) -
since this time I haven't experienced the disconnect problem at all - so it
would seem at least for me that it was an issue with Windows and/or the
generic PCI modem I use. The other thing WorldNet's software did in my case
was stop the screeching audible dialing from happening - I had tried
everything possible previously to stop it (I did have the volume off in the
modems settings).

I know this really doesn't answer the question directly, but in my case it
wasn't either the modem or the phoneline causing the problem.

John Beaulieu

I have a friends 166 Pentium on a Rhino MB with 48M ram running Windows95.
It had a generic PCI modem in it and I have tried a Hayes Accura modem in it
also.
It is using a dial up connection to a local ISP.The modem connects to the
isp fine and when you click the icon to disconnect it disconnects from the
isp fine but
it will not disconnect from the phone line.If you physically unplug the line
from the modem and plug it back in you can get a dial tone but it will not
break the connection on its own.I have tried this on different phone
lines,with different cords and with two modems in this computer.I thought it
might be somekind of software conflict between dialers so I formatted the
harddrive and tried it with a fresh Windows install.Same problem.Any ideas
are very much appreciated.
Mike Bridges

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml