Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 19:49:57 -0400
At 18:39 08/05/01, Glenn Josephson wrote:
>Goran wrote:
>>The AMD Athlon 1200 MHz looks very tempting...
>>I have a Pentium II 350MHz Slot 1 on an ABIT BX6 2.0 mobo
>>My plan is not to replace the mobo, if possible. Are there
>>any converter kits, or adapters, to suit a faster processor?
>
>Unfortunately, in order for you to go to a 1.2 Ghz Athlon,
>you will have to get a new motherboard....

Goran: You might need a new power supply as well. (See AMD's
website for a list of Athlon approved power supplies.) The
Athlon requires more power...not just in total Watts, but
more current at certain voltages. There are 300 Watt supplies
that are not acceptable and 250 Watt supplies that are
acceptable. It might be easiest to get a new case and power
supply along with an Athlon ready motherboard.

You ought to be able to take all the salvageable parts out
of your old computer and install them, with a new motherboard
into a new case in one evening. But you'd need PC133 memory.

If you must stick with the your Abit BX6 2.0 mobo, you could
get a good quality slotket adaptor (Abit and Asus make good
ones) and add a fast Celeron 2 or Pentium III (933 or 1 GHz.
maybe). As Glen said, it would help if your memory will do
133. Otherwise you'd need the 100 MHz version of an Intel
processor.

Regards,
Bill