NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michele Ferris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:14:12 -0400
I've started cooking a lot of Indian food because we like the taste, have
acquired several Indian friends, and have a large assortment of foods to
choose from that don't have milk.  But a lot of them do.  Do any of you eat
clarified butter?  I've read that when it's made properly the milk proteins
are removed, but I'm a little afraid to try it--not worth the reaction.
Well, Indian recipes often include clarrified butter, yogurt, homemade
cheese, and soy (which I'm also allergic to).  In fact, we at with new
friends last week and didn't remember to tell them I'm allergic to dairy,
but I expected that there would be several dishes I could eat
anyway...wrong!  Every dish contained dairy.  (Learned a good lesson there!)
  Just one more example of how I can have the food if *I* fix it.

According to my cookbooks, chapati and pooris are dairy-free, but not
paratha, vhatura, or naan.  I have a lot of difficulty finding dairy-free
breads from any culture.  I'm thrilled that Carr's Crackers makes several
flavors I can eat, and they contain more natural ingredients than most types
of crackers.

Michele F.