EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 20:50:59 -0500
In the older longer version of Art's essay on evolutionary fitness he
talks about power laws or curves and chaos, that the details of physical
activity are chaotic, but when distributed on a curve you would see lots
of low level activity and rest and small amounts of high intensity
activity, and that you would not see the long-duration, steady-state,
medium-level activity of the modern "aerobic" jogger. Recently I've been
reading how bipedal movement is much more energy efficient than
four-legged, that our upright posture and hairlessness gives us an
additional advantage in heat dissipation over four-footed prey, that the
hair on our heads insulates us from the heat of the sun on our scalps,
and that all of these together would have enabled us to run down
four-legged prey in the hot mid-day savannah sun by basically running
somewhat of a marathon. The prey would be faster initially, but we would
eventually outrun and exhaust them. This is making me wonder whether a
long, couple-hour jogging session might have some benefit and whether it
might fit into the "evolutionary model" of physical activity, as DeVany
puts it, if done only once or twice a week.

Any comments?

Hilary McClure
Danville, VT