C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brent Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 12:40:32 -0500
Kathleen Salkin wrote:

> First of all, welcome to the group.  I'm a mild CP who lives in
> Winston-Salem, NC, and have encountered the same smug mind-set
> you encountered, even here in a larger city.  I have been going
> to a neurologist for a year now, and he was the first to really
> understand what I was going through.

Winston-Salem, eh? I live in Charlotte, now. (Well just outside in the
eastern 'burbs.)

> Born and raised in the Los Angeles area in Calif, but moved to NC
> when I was 15 and have lived here ever since, except for a
> college term in the UK and a few years in the DC area.

I've spent my entire life in NC. Born in Anson County, college in Raleigh,
and now Charlotte. I've considered a few times getting a neuro consult, as I
haven't seen a doctor specifically about my cp in nearly 15 years. (With the
exception of the FAA medicals mentioned elsewhere.)

> I, too, did everything when I was younger - horseback riding,
> show jumping, fox hunting, volleyball, raquetball, softball,
> hiking, backwoods camping, you name it.  I even flew a plane with
> my dad, who was a certified pilot, although I never got my own
> license.

Lots of pilots here, I see. Cool. I was never as athletic as you. I do a bit
of day hiking up along the Blue Ridge (Linville area, mostly) in Spring and
Fall, but I've never been much of a jock. <smile>

> However when I was in my late 30's my joints started
> showing the signs of wear and tear, as well as muscle fatigue and
> weakness, and now I am in a wheelchair due to an accident I had
> four years ago.   I work fulltime as a database programmer for a
> large corporation, so I do fairly well, and live by myself in a flat.

Database programming? I do a bit of contract work from time to time in SQL.
Tell me more?

> Like you, I am a "recipe-free" cook - I just mess about with the
> ingredients and if something good comes out, fantastic, if not, oh well!

I like your attitude. Usually my stuff turns out ok, but when it goes wrong,
it has a tendency to go *really* wrong. <grin>

> Not married and just got rid of a not-so-good boyfriend, but do
> manage to have an active social life.  Despite what some people
> say, there's always something going on in this town, one just has
> to keep their eyes open.

Well you know how we men are. <grin> I really don't know much about W-S,
'cept Smith Reynolds Airport. I used to fly in there a lot when I was
getting my IFR ticket. That and First Union just picked your civic pocket in
moving the Wachovia corporate headquarters to Charlotte after the merger.

> Looking forward to your insights and we'll help you with any
> questions you have.

Thanks for the welcome.

Brent