C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:14:55 EST
In a message dated 1/13/2002 1:19:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Ummmm, translation please, wot does "automatic order" mean?
>
> Rayna
>
> Automatic Order:  An automatic order is a directive or suggestion given by
> someone in such a way that the receiver feels compelled to do the exact
> opposite.  I am sure that someone in my ancestory invented this.
>
> For example:  "You CANNOT take the whole world of disabled people upon your
> shoulders."  Guess what?  I think I can.  Let's say I do it my way (since
> you have no friggin' choice about how I live my life anyway), and on the
> day I die, you can figure out whether I could do that thing or not.  I have
> decided, and my decision making power is a non negotiable item.

I don't like to find that somebody else has been considering my decisions
about my life too much.  This is a fundamental right, lest I become mentally
incompetant.  I have intentionally surrounded myself with people who are much
wiser than I, and a number of them will concur should this happen.

There are people right on this list who are qualified to make that
determination.  If a few of some specific people here concurred that I needed
help with my decision making, that would be something to take note of.

Additionally, a person that I would trust with that much power, would have to
be someone who could not be bought in any direction other than the one that
is truly best for me, with the inclusion -- as best as possible -- of wishes
I had made in days when I was able to make good decisions for myself.

> Anyway, I don't have the time nor the inclination to take the entire world
> of disabled people upon my shoulders.  Who the hell am I to think that's
> what you all want (ahem...or need)?  I'm just speaking out about injustices
> against oppressed people.  It's oppression I speak against; the target is
> irrelevent.  If the target is human life; that's where I want to be.  As
> long as there is some bozo out there who thinks that liberty and justice is
> really for all in this country, I'll be there to have a say myself.
> Anybody can stop me.  All they have to do is kill me.

Just make damned sure I'm dead, that's all.

Or...I'll shut up when Justin Dart tells me to shut up.  How's that for
putting somebody who has a proven record of knowing what the hell he is doing
in charge of me, just in case I don't know what the hell I'm doing?

The situation is quite a bit delicate.  A nearly thirty year friendship is
involved and in danger, so the circumstances are a bit painful.  I can only
complicate matters in my own heart by saying more.  There is too much love on
both sides.

I will tell you instead that which I have said and written before:  No
friendship or arrangement can ever be so dear that I will abandon the
battlelines of justice for want of it.

Betty