C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 15:23:09 -0800
First I'd like to thank everyone for the show of
support. I can't tell you how much I appreciated it. I
do feel Matt was a bit over the top but I have
conflicting feelings about his leaving the list. My
thoughts from things I've read from Matt lead me to
two opposing conclusions. One he was a simple a troll
out to cause trouble but trolls don't usually sign off
when things get hot. They may get quiet but they like
to read the upheaval they've caused. The other thought
is that Matt is a very troubled young man. I belong to
another list that concerns preemie issues.  I've been
involved since Alex was an infant. On the whole most
of the  parents are pretty neat people ,just like this
group but there are several that are very bitter that
their children are alive with disabilities. It isn't
what the signed up for when they conceived that kid
and their lives are forever changed for  the worse
because of the  kid. You can't hide that kind of
bitterness from a child no matter how severe the
disabilities may be.It has to effect the childs sense
of self. There are others on this list that know
personally what this type of parenting feels like.
Actually  there are many children in this world who
know this type of parenting even if they don't have
disabilities. You see it acted out in the  stores with
the parent calling the  kid, stupid, moron etc and and
if it wasn't for the kid the parent would be on easy
street.Although the good sense thing would be to
sterilize people like this to prevent them from
becoming parents it will do nothing for the children
already here. Matt could have been one of those kids.
It could explain his anger and bitterness. Sometimes
the  kid who needs to be taken to the woodshed is the
very one who needs the loving the most.maybe the
arrogance is the way to keep the perpetual fear of
being hurt and rejected once more at bay.In all
reality it's I did when I reacted so strongy. I think
it may be a good thing to extend a hand to Matt from
this group, it maybe the first time in his life that
he's pushed and hasn't been pushed down in return.  It
doesn't mean accepting him turning the bitterness and
anger against a person but accepting him and showing
him to be a  unique and good individual.
Joanne
--- "Bobby G. Greer, Ph. D." <[log in to unmask]>