C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cindy Mallory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 05:50:18 EST
In a message dated 11/6/01 11:40:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I can tell you guys that Drugs Are It at U-M Hospital.  When I moved to
 Michigan, the first thing these people wanted to do is shove baclofen down
 my throat because they wanted to "control" my spasticity.  God forbid we
 should be the least bit spastic.  Das ist verboten, ja!  It's as if
 spasticity is an evil, bad thing.

My 10 yo son gets the same treatment and he is very mild spastic, but I
refuse all meds. He's not in pain so why try to correct something that isn't
a problem.

My question to all who have spastic legs: Do you drive a typical car or use
hand controls? My older children drive so my son talks about it a lot.
However one doesn't know when a spastic episode may occur. I have seen this
occur when my son gets scared or has just exercised a lot by riding a bike or
running. The last time was about a month ago when he got scared of a mean dog
coming close to him and the anxiety was too much. I shooed the dog away but
his leg went crazy. Do any of you experience this and how does it affect your
driving?               Cindy