C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Darlene Bubis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 18:02:16 EST
PLEASE DISTRIBUTE
CONTACT: Nancy Freed
(510) 848-1112 ext 174
Voice: (800) 644-2666
TTY:   (800) 804-1616

Berkeley, CA - Winter 2001 to May 2002 -Through the Looking Glass, National
Resource Center for Parents with Disabilities.  Through the Looking Glass is
conducting a nationwide project to learn more about families in which a
parent with a disability is raising a teen (11-17 years old). This project is
funded by the National Institute on Disability Research and Rehabilitation,
part of the Department of Education.
* What do we mean by disability?  Disability can involve physical, visual,
systemic, hearing, cognitive, learning, developmental and mental health
issues.  Why are we conducting research?  Although there are over 10 million
families in which one or both parents have a disability, relatively little is
known about the experiences of these families.
* Who can participate: Parents with disabilities and Deaf parents who have
teenagers (children 11 to 17 years of age). The parent and the teenager are
both welcome to participate.
* Ways to get involved:
-- Participate in a national survey of parents with disabilities who are
raising teens age 11-17.  Your teen can also fill out a survey and receive $5
in return.
-- Surveys are available in a variety of formats: In Spanish, over the phone,
and in a version specific to Deaf parents.
-- Local families (SF Bay area) can participate in 12 weeks of
solution-focused family therapy in their own home.
-- Deaf parents can participate in a face-to-face interview in ASL if you
live in or near one of the following cities:  San Francisco, Seattle, Santa
Fe, New York, Kansas City, or Washington, DC.
-- Teens of parents with disabilities can participate in our hosted Teen
Bulletin Board (<A HREF="http://www.lookingglass.org/">www.lookingglass.org</A>)
* How to contact us:
-- Call Nancy Freed at (510) 848-1112 ext 174, Toll Free (800) 644-2666, TTY
(800) 804-1616
-- Request a survey by email <A HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A> or contact Nancy Freed at
the above telephone number.
-- Visit our website: <A HREF="http://www.lookingglass.org/">www.lookingglass.org</A>

*Through the Looking Glass, The National Resource Center for Parents with
Disabilities, is a nonprofit organization in Berkeley, CA that serves
families in which a parent or child has a disability.  Current projects
include The National Parent to Parent Network for parents with disabilities
and the Teen Bulletin Board for teenagers age 11 to 17.  For more information
on these projects and our upcoming International Conference, please contact
Through the Looking Glass.