VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"B. CAVALIER" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 15:35:10 -0400
Hello Group:

Sorry, I only came into this on Leslie's comments and need to say that I
believe no change will take place with employment issues for us until
Corporate America understands we aren't playing and neither are the
agencies we rely upon for assistance.  Unfortunately, this isn't being
put across in a manner that will change the mind-set of those in a
position to ensure this change takes place.

I am no fan of litigation when it ruins the credibility of "sincere"
cases and this takes place far too often.  If large corporations aren't
hit in the area that they love the best - $$$$ - what we are now
experiencing will be what the future holds for us as well.  I realize
how cynical it sounds to say that "people" aren't of importance to these
companies - but the bottom line is that they are not.  Profit it.

They enjoy the "good press" they might get from very little effort
expended in order to prove that they are champions of disability issues,
but in reality they're only complying with what they should have done
from a legal standpoint anyway.  If a corporation can get away with
non-compliance, no one is going to knock themselves out to see that the
guidelines are absorbed into the population as a matter of everyday
activity and attitude.  This would reflect true belief in what they
profess.

No kick-ass settlements for Joe Average?  Then no change - now or down
the road.

B.

P.S.  I'm employed and it is a sickening pattern to observe, no less
experience.