VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Christopher J Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 22:35:52 -0500
Bud,

You said, "Nobody will hire someone where the exchange of money is
involved if there is a chance that they could be cheated."  I don't think
this is the case.  My brother is blind and has such a position.  I think
there are quite a few other blind people in the same situation.

I agree that having different sized bills would make things easier and may
open some opportunities for some blind people.  My chief concern is that
resorting to a law suit and using terminology that says the blind cannot
independently participate in society until the size of our paper currency
changes comes with its own price.  I feel that whenever a group uses a
lawsuit to get what it wants it loses some good will with the general
public.  This is necessary for some issues and in some situations, but I'm
not convinced this is such an issue.

I know a lawsuit needs to use strong statements to make its case, but
stating that blind people cannot participate in activities integral to
society because of the currency that has been in circulation for decades
paints a poor picture of the blind.  What about positions where someone
has to handle a credit card, a drivers license as a form of
identification, receipts and so on.  Based on the statements used in this
lawsuit, I'm not sure someone would feel comfortable hiring a blind person
for a job that requires any of these activities.

I also agree completely that we don't have to just work on one issue at a
time.  My problem isn't with working on several fronts at the same time;
it's more with our priorities.  Filing and pursuing such a lawsuit will
take time and resources away from other issues, and in my opinion, it
could damage the ability of blind people to fight other battles, at least
in the short term.

Christopher

Christopher J Chaltain

"Kennedy, Bud" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List"
05/07/2002 08:30 AM
Please respond to "Kennedy, Bud"