VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Karyl Loux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 17:41:38 -0400
Well, I've been watching and absorbing.  And just feel that I would like to
make some points.  I don't have a clue if the folks filing this lawsuit are
monitoring this list, but all the points being made are good as far as they
go.

Bud says, YES! We should lobby for this change.  I agree, but the original
posting didn't say lobby it said lawsuit.  I'm unsure whether this is due to
clearly rejected lobbying efforts.

Changing the bills obviously wouldn't be mechanically hard to do based on
what folks, who are better informed than I, say about the longevity of bills
and printing plates and such.  Where the difficulty comes is in changing the
political atmosphere of the government that issues the money.  There would
first have to me a multi-mega million dollar study to see if it is viable to
even consider this.  The next several million will be for a study as to just
what the new bills should look like and be like.  Then, oh my gosh, who's
faces will get put on the bills?  What color will which bill be?  Just what
is politically correct?  Probably cause for another multi-mega million
dollar study.  Of course taxes must be raised to fund all of this.  Then
finally long after blindness has been cured for all, the government will act
and the new money will evolve.

Now, this lawsuit claims that during all this time folks with blindness are
being denied access to using money independently.  I have lived with
blindness throughout my family for over 40 years, and I have worked in the
field of blindness for almost 25.  I just haven't noticed that we have
trouble spending money or engaging in the opportunities having it brings.
Getting ahold of it is the problem, and that just doesn't make folks with
blindness that much different then the majority of the population.

Now, that is my 52 cents.  Thanks for reading it all and realize that I do
mean this to have some humor.

Karyl