Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Cheyenne Loon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 11:43:21 -0500
So I've been storing fresh raw meat in the fridge covered in plastic
wrap.  I'd resisted the idea of uncovering it, probably out of some
vague fear that germs might fall on it.... Of course if I don't cook
plastic-covered meat in a couple of days, it goes rotten-smelling. So -
does meat actually keep longer when left uncovered to dry out a bit?  I
imagine it's a similar process to the 'dry-ageing' of beef done in the
fancy steakhouses, though they claim (of course)you should never try
it at home, since you must have the precise humidity and temperature
for it to work.  And - can fish & bird be stored similarly?

Cheyenne (getting a craving for raw meat as she types)

Barbara wrote:
> I'd also suggest that it's worth experimenting with meat that's been
> aged for varying amounts of time. I just keep mine in the fridge in
an open container and gradually use it over the course of a week or so.
(Some people will age their meat much longer than that.) It gradually
dries out, and the flavour changes a bit.