C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:08:41 -0500
Yes, but there're reasons for that.  It's because (1) the parents were targeted as the murderers by the local police yet no evidence has ever been found, (2) the Ramseys are wealthy and publicity-savvy, (3)Jon-Bonet was a "beauty queen" contestant and therefore seen as exploited, and (4) the local police has been shown to be colossal bunglers. There's a certain sick sort of fascination with the case, as it has all the elements of a sensational story.  I'm sure even if Jon Bonet had been disabled, and (3) had not applied in the case, it still would have been sensational because of all the other factors.

Kat

"St. John's University Cerebral Palsy List" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> It seems that I've seen more photographs of Jon Benet Ramsey than of any of
the children mentioned here, including the other case where the mother killed
her two children a few years ago.  The Ramsey investigation has been ongoing;
that explains some of the increased attention, but the media has clearly
capitalized on her physical attributes.

"Oh no, not THAT little girl!"

What happens if we supplant Tracy's picture?  What do you suppose the kindest
people will say?  I'm not talking about disability rights activists now, I'm
talking about that lady on the street who sees a Tracy coming and thinks
"Awww, poor thing."  She's out there.  What does she have to say about
Tracy's death, and Tracy's Dad?

She's the one who makes me nervous.  She'll pat you on the head, yes she
will.  She'll stand by and let a "mercy killing" happen too.  "How can
anybody with a disability like that even want to live?" she'll ask.

I've never seen anything on TV about Tracy.  In 1993, I wasn't disabled, and
I wasn't singling out disability stories for special consideration the way I
do now (I was an able body supremacist who didn't know that's what I was --
the most dangerous kind of ABS).  She could have been all over the US media
and I might not have known.  Still, I knew all about Jon Benet Ramsey, so...

Betty