From:
Shellie Kepley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:20:24 -0600

Thanks for all the input--I looked up Cornbread in the archives and
picked one out of that hat called Amazing Cornbread....it was awful!!
Gluey and sticky and icky....I'm countin' on you folks to do better ;O))

Here's the rundown:

Recipe 1:

Shellie, this is the recipe that I developed; it freezes well. 1 cup
rice flour 1 cup yellow cornmeal (sometimes I add about 1/4 cup blue
cornmeal and use 3/4 cup yellow) 2 tbls. sugar 1 tbl. baking powder 1
tsp. salt 1/4 cup veg. oil 3 eggs, beaten 1/2 cup buttermilk enough
milk, or a combination of milk and water, to make a pourable batter Coat
baking pan with oil and preheat in 400 degree oven, then pour batter
into pan and bake at 400 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes.  Hope you
enjoy, Brian Askew Tylertown, Mississippi

Recipe 2:

Roben Ryberg's book The Gluten Free Kitchen,
page 88 and 89.

Recipe 3:

Take your cornbread receipe from your cookbook (Betty
Crocker, etc....).  Instead of adding flour, use corn
flour (sometimes called mesa, from the groc. store).

Use the same amount called for.  You wont be able to
tell its gluten free.  Make sure you add enough
liquid.  It needs to pour into the pan, if not it will
be dry.  My non celiac husband hated cornbread till he
ate mine.  Said he remembered it being dry.  Mine is
moist and fluffy.

Recipe 4:

Easy Blender Cornbread
  Yellow cornmeal is has more vitamins--
  white cornmeal is tastier, its your choice.

Melt 4 Tbs. butter in an 8" cast iron
   skillet while oven is preheating
   to 400º.
Mix in blender:  1 c. milk or milk sub
                       1 egg
                       1 c. cornmeal
                    1/2 tsp. salt
                    1/2 tsp. baking soda
When butter in melted, tilt to grease skillet then pour into blender.  Blend
again & pour into hot skillet.  Bake about 20 minutes. Remove promptly from
skillet to avoid a metallic taste.
Use a 10" skillet to double recipe

Recipe 5:
http://www.gfrecipes.com/cornbreads.txt

This is the best one:

This is from an old NY Times Magazine. It's traditional in that it has no
sugar. I use less salt and cornmeal than is in the recipe.

The Best Corn Bread

 1 1/2  teas bacon grease
 1      small egg
 2      cups buttermilk, at room temperature
 1      teas baking powder
 1      teas baking soda
 1      teas salt, or to taste
 1 3/4  cups stone- or water-ground yellow cornmeal.

1. Spread bacon grease around in a 10-inch, well-seasoned, cast-iron
skillet and put the skillet in the oven. Turn the oven to 450 degrees
and leave it to heat while you prepare the corn bread.

2. Combine the egg and buttermilk in a bowl, beating he egg slightly
with a fork. Add baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to mix well.

3. Add enough cornmeal to make a thin batter, like pancake batter. Every
cornmeal is different, but one and three quarters cups, more or less,
should be enough. As soon as the oven reaches 450 degrees and the bacon
grease is just to the point of smoking, pour the batter into the pan all
at once and return immediately to the oven. Bake until the top just
begins to brown, approximately 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, turn
onto a plate and serve immediately with plenty of butter.

Yield: Six to eight servings.

Recipe 6: , I went back to my original recipe "Cornmeal Bread" from
Favorite Recipes I by Sunset Magazine and Sunset Books and just
substituted the Bette Hagman's GF Mix (using a blend of rice flour,
tapioca flour and potato starch flour) for the wheat flour that my
recipe called for.  It was much better, but not as sweet.  The next time
I made it I increased the sugar and it tasted almost as good

GF CORN MUFFINS/BREAD

Mix in large bowl:

1 C. yellow corn meal     1 1/4 t. salt
1 C. white rice flour       1/3 C. oil
1/4 - 1/2 C. sugar         1 lg. egg
2 t. xanthan gum              1 C. milk or water
2 T. baking powder          1 more C. water

Stir by hand until blended.  Grease pans.  Bake bread 40 min.  Muffins
for 35 min.  Makes one 8x8 baking pan; 6 large or 12 medium muffins.
Bake at 350 deg.

Recipe 7:

Check out the Gourmet Feb. 2001 issue.  I've made the Cheddar-Jalapeno
Corn Sticks without the scallions and jalapenos.  Picked up the corn
stick pans at Cost Plus Imports for $8/each.

Recipe 8:

I make cornbread using Pamela's baking mix and there is a receipe on the
bag.

Recipe 9:

Cowboy Cornbread 1 or 2 tablespoons oil or bacon drippings 1 cup
cornmeal 1 tsp. baking powder (Clabber Girl is one that if gluten-free)
1/4 tsp. soda 1/2 tsp. salt 1 egg 1 cup buttermilk Turn on oven to 450 -
500 degrees.

    Put the drippings (corn oil or peanut oil could be used) in an oven
proof skillet or saute pan about 8 or 9 inches in diameter and let heat
until smoking hot. Have your ingredients near at hand and work fast.
Whisk together cornmeal, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add buttermilk
and egg; whisk until blended. Then pour the hot oil into the cornbread
mixture and whisk together quickly. Pour into hot skillet (so won't
stick and you will get a nice brown crust) and bake 10 minutes. (Note
this is a one-bowl recipe and you don't need to beat the egg
separately.) You can use dry buttermilk if desired. Make up a cup
according to the

directions on the package.  In this case, the recipe seems to work
better if the 1/4 tsp. baking soda is stirred into the buttermilk and
water mixture rather than mixed with the dry ingredients.

Recipe 10:

Basic recipe:

2 cups meal (or mix)
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk (can use yogurt)
2 T melted butter or oil
2 T honey or 1/4 cup sugar (optional)

Mix dry and wet separately, then combine. Pour in greased skillet,
biscuit pan, or muffin tin(12).  Bake at 425 degrees 20-25 minutes.

I guess it's Cornbread time!

Shellie, Tulsa

"I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming
conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My wisdom, and that of all
about me,seemed insufficient for the day,"--Abraham Lincoln