From:
Solange Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 08:58:11 EDT

Good morning to all,

Well, it's official.  My biopsy results are in and I am indeed a celiac and
have been one for most of my life.  My biopsy included 9 samples from all
over the small intestine, and even before sending the snipets to the lab, my
doctor looked under the microscope and told me that in his experience (he is
a gastroenterologist and sees many of us) that I have classic signs of
celiac, including some damage from having lived undiagnosed all these years.
He also took some skin samples to test for DH, and no surprise there either.
 I was very happy that my doctor was very obliging and did not poo-poo my
asking him to take many sample from different areas of the intestine as
suggested here in the list.  He agreed that this is the way to go.  For all
of you who have not yet had the biopsy, don't be afraid.  It wasn't at all
unpleasant.

In the meantime, yesterday when I went to teach a yoga class, one of my
students surprised me with a shopping bag FULL of home baked GF goodies.  She
is a famous pastry chef at a very posh restaurant and when she heard I have
celiac, she responded with her creative talents and love.  I was blown away.
She made me GF brownies, biscotti, muffins, pound cake which tasted like real
pound case, pizza crusts which I case freeze and use later, and some
wonderful black and white cookies and Italian sesame cookies.  She told me
that in the restaurant many people avoid desserts because of celiac, and she
is inspired to help them to enjoy such delicious endings to their meals.  I
have tasted great GF bakery products before, but have never been able to make
any on my own which tasted better than cardboard, and crumbly cardboard at
best.  If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll ask for the recipes.
The main thing is that when we share our plight with others, they sometimes
respond in such a loving way.  In fact, one of my students came up to me and
asked what celiac was because she was having trouble with gastro problems.  I
told her a little bit about it, and she went to see a doctor.  Turns out she
has IB (so far anyway.  I've been told THAT before!).  Main point is that by
educating the public we can save lives.

Last night my manfriend and I attended an outdoor concert to try and get our
heads out of hell (I know you all know what I mean), and while he munched on
his gluten rich pretzels and hotdog from the vendors, I joyfully snacked on
my GF biscotti with a cup of tea.  For a few hours, life was sweet again and
I was my old carefree self.  This is not your technical, advice filled
posting, I know, but I think it is important for us to know that life is
sweet and to be enjoyed.  I also thank whoever it was who informed us about
the Outback Steakhouse having a GF menu.  I had a wonderful meal there, and
fearlessly!

Everybody stay well and enjoy your beautiful lives.

Love and peace,

Libby
NYC