From:
Kimberly leant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 20:16:27 -0500

Hi List,

Thank you for all the responses to my question regarding Millet Bread.

I received 35 responses. Out of 35 only 3 felt Millet contained gluten and
suggested I stay away from Millet. A couple people stated Millet was GF but
they had a reaction after eating it. 1 stated it didn't matter what kind of
bread she ate she still got sick after eating any type of bread, period.

 I read the safe and forbidden foods lists, they contradicted each other.
One listed Millet as questionable. But stated it was a relation or a
derivative of the corn family.Therefore, they saw no harm. I looked through
all my archives. The only one that really forbids Millet was the pamphlet
handed to me when I was diagnosed. I read through my Bette Hagman cookbooks
nothing there about it. However, please note, none of her recipes include
Millet. I realize that Millet is controversial. Even the experts can't seem
to agree. So guys and gals, once again, we are on our own. Use your best
judgment.

I have to admit, I did try Millet bread. I thought I was wonderful! But
after I ingested the bread, my chest began to tighten up and I felt like I
just swallowed a cow. I tried it the next day, same-thing, when I woke up
in the morning I had the typical gluten symptoms. I don't know if I had
stressed myself out about it to the point it was psycho somatic or my being
hypersensitive. I can't even be sure that Millet was the cause of my
reaction. I also had some wine that seemed to turn my stomach,right after I
drank it.  I know that was GF. Anyone tried any good White Zyn lately?

A number of you knew exactly which Bakery I was talking about and sang
their praises. One wanted a phone number because he had lost it.  If you
are adventuresome here you go. Good Luck!

DeLand Bakery
904-734-7553
Deland FL.

The people at DeLand Bakery are very knowledgeable about gluten and they
specialize in GF baked goods.

Be careful out there!

Kim