VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karyl Loux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karyl Loux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 09:20:43 -0400
I have been trying out a program called Spam Buster, and it may be
considered better than nothing.  I find it slow, and occasionally impossible
to deal with.  Lately, I have been receiving the KLEZ virus at least 2 times
a day from spammers.  I caution everyone to not be opening attachments from
someone you don't know.  And, be sure your settings don't automatically open
them.  Anyway, Spam Buster helps some because it can delete messages at the
server level never allowing them into your machine.  It checks senders
addresses and subject lines against hundreds of known spam addresses and
subjects.  It also has an option where you can add your own things to avoid.
Even still I find that the filters I put into my own message rules in
Outlook Express pick up even more.  Anyway, I have been using Spam Buster in
an unregistered version available from www.contactplus.com that you can
download for free.  Registering it costs around $20, and as I said it is
slow and sometimes just doesn't work at all.
    Recently, McAfee advertised and recommended a product called Spam Killer
for around $30.  I will be changing to that.  I have found that the products
recommended by McAfee are usually really good.  I bought Zero Pop-up from
them and I love it.  I do not ever see any pop-ups on web pages that I go to
now.  It is a little quirky because you have to turn it off to update your
virus protection, but that is minor to me.  I was marginally satisfied with
Spam Buster, I know I'll enjoy Spam Killer because they really do get rid of
so much spam before it even gets to your computer.
    My final recommendation is that if you shop online, you should get
another email address for that purpose only.  Like maybe a free hotmail
address.  That way if a company does sell or give away their mailing lists,
you don't have to see all of that in your regular mailbox.  You just have to
be sure to check your hotmail box occasionally or they will close it out.

Karyl Loux