VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:17:51 -0400
Here's the information from the readme.txt file about what is new in
the latest beta of Window-Eyes.  -Steve.

Welcome to Window-Eyes 4.11 Beta 2
"Unleashing the power of your mind's eye."
August 16, 2001

Welcome to Window-Eyes 4.11 Beta 2, the latest version of the most
"Rock Solid" screen reader available. We have come a long way since
Window-Eyes 4.1, and appreciate everyone who assisted us with feedback
and suggestions.

The following is a list of some of the major enhancements and fixes
between Window-Eyes 4.1 and Window-Eyes 4.11 Beta 2.

Window-Eyes 4.11 Beta 2 - Performance, Reliability, and Stability

Enhancements between 4.11 Beta 1 and 4.11 Beta 2

We have made more stability improvements in MSAA mode.

The problem of MSAA mode not turning on correctly when closing a window
(which caused activation to land on an application where MSAA mode was
available, such as closing an IE window and going to another IE window
or closing Media Player and going to an IE window) has been fixed.

There were cases in OE where WE would not say the progress messages
such as "loading page".  This has been fixed.

Window-Eyes no longer reports if it thinks frames are disabled in
Internet Explorer.

In Internet Explorer, Window-Eyes now says "link" before links if
window type first is checked and visited link is unchecked in MSAA
verbosity when reading the first 24 lines or reading to end on a web
page.

The problem of Window-Eyes not automatically reading when pressing F6
get to the content window in IE help (Such as the Window-Eyes manual)
has been fixed.

There were cases when Window-Eyes would indicate visited links when
this verbosity setting was unchecked. This has been fixed.

The problem of combo boxes not getting focus when pressing enter on
them in MSAA mode (as well as alt-down arrowing not speaking the
selected item) has been fixed.

The problem of Window-Eyes not going to the correct place on a page
when
pressing enter on a link that points to an in-page anchor has been
fixed.

Since there is no such thing as a disabled link we removed both the
speech and braille options for this.

Some applications like Office didn't work with the autolabel graphic
feature.  This has been resolved.

We fixed the problem of Eloquence chopping off the beginning of menu
items as you arrowed through a menu.

The problem of not being able to track the caret in the Word 2000 spell
checker has been fixed.

We have added more Visual Basic 6 classes so you won't need to reclass
as much in Visual Basic applications.

Unchecking the window type first option now works in treeviews, tab
controls, and combo boxes.

Speak summary always speaks menu shortcuts, accelerators, and
descriptions as well as miscellaneous shortcuts regardless of the
verbosity settings.

Window-Eyes now recognizes the color buttons in control panel display
appearance.

We solved the problem of Window-Eyes incorrectly believing that the
message rich edit in MSN Messenger had focus when you alt tabbed away
from Messenger.

We fixed a problem in Outlook XP where Window-Eyes would announce
shortcuts for items in the Tools, Customize listbox when shortcuts were
not available.

Enhancements between Window-Eyes 4.1 and Window-Eyes 4.11 Beta 1
This readme file is broken up into the following sections:

**** Internet/IE/MSAA Enhancements
#### General Fixes/Enhancements

**** Internet/IE/MSAA Enhancements

Window-Eyes no longer supports versions of Internet Explorer less than
5.5.  You must have version 5.5 or greater.

Many times throughout this readme file, we refer to Internet Explorer
6. If you plan on using IE 6 with this beta of Window-Eyes, please note
that you will need a version equal to or greater than the second public
preview of IE6 (build number 2479.0006). For more information on the
latest available version, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie.

We have made many enhancements to MSAA mode in Internet Explorer,
Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Help.  All duplicatable
instability problems and inconstant behavior have been fixed.

We solved problems where Window-Eyes would ignore stuff inside the HTML
LABEL tag in IE 6.

Window-Eyes will now indicate when a control is disabled on a web page
and we don't allow you to press enter on disabled controls.  Note that
we are currently not able to do this for buttons and picture links.
This is a Microsoft problem, and we have notified them appropriately.

We now allow MSAA mode in the Surfer Player.  Note that this program
still needs to add keyboard access (if you are interested in this
program, we recommend contacting the developers and requesting keyboard
access), but at least MSAA mode now works where it is supposed to
within the program.

We fixed a problem where, if you were in table mode arrowing down in a
cell, you could land on something that appeared to be a blank line if
smart table mode removed a table within the current table.  This has
been corrected.

Copying to the clipboard didn't work in table mode.  Now you can copy
any part of the current cell to the clipboard while in table mode.

Window-Eyes now attempts to scroll the line you are on in the MSAA
buffer in to view.  This appears to work well accept for pages using
frames.  We are still working with Microsoft to improve this support.
We fixed problems with alt-insert-down arrow landing on parts of tables
that were not in the buffer which would cause this key to get stuck.
This was noticed at http://www.microsoft.com/enable.

We have solved problems where Window-Eyes did not see controls inside
of HTML LABEL tags in IE 6.

We now take advantage of the support for merging text inside of HTML
LABEL tags such as click here where the c is highlighted in IE 6.  We
will also merge this type of text in earlier versions of IE and in IE 6
outside of label tags as long as the text touches horizontally and one
rect is fully contained by the other.

Window-Eyes does a better job of ignoring hidden stuff on a web page.
This is especially true in IE 6.

We fixed a regression introduced in 4.1 that prevented MSAA mode from
working in Copernic.

The Window-Eyes update option from the Window-Eyes help menu will now
display the number of SMA counts available for your current copy of
Window-Eyes.

#### General Fixes/Enhancements

Some of the Window-Eyes set files have been updated from the versions
that shipped with Window-Eyes 4.1. These updated set files will NOT be
installed automatically with the beta. If you want to use these updated
set files, you will need to select them from the Select Set File dialog
under the File menu of Window-Eyes. The updated set files are as
follows:

* AOL
* Easy CD Creator 5
* Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum
* Sound Forge 5
* Sound Forge 5 XP
* Access 97
* Access 2000
* Window-Eyes Default Sets

We have also concatenated the Word 95 and Excel 95 sets into an Office
95 set directory, the Word 97 and Excel 97 sets into an Office 97 set
directory, the Word 2000, Excel 2000, and Outlook 2000 sets into an
Office 2000 directory, and the Word XP, Excel XP, and Outlook XP sets
into an Office XP directory.

We have added support for Office XP and updated set files have been
supplied.

All known systray issues have been resolved.

Window-Eyes will no longer say "desktop wants attention."

We now read owner drawn listviews such as the one in the list of
programs in Zone Alarm (and Black Ice) rather than saying "unknown" for
the items.

We have greatly improved the reliability of the auto label graphics
function.

Previously, key labels would be ignored for Window-Eyes hotkeys.  This
is still true except for the 20 user window hotkeys.  These 20 keys
will read a key label if present.

We fixed a problem where the OSM would get corrupted with a bold italic
caret in Wordpad.

We now do a better job of tracking system carets.

We have reduced the hang that happens with load before startup in some
situations.

The route mouse to window function now computes the position of a float
window if you are routing to a float window before doing the routing.

We fixed several UI problems in the various dictionary dialogs.

We fixed a problem that prevented printing with the WinWriter 150C
printer.

The Window-Eyes update option is now disabled when you are not logged
in as a user.

We solved problems reading by character with the mouse in the
properties dialog in Windows Explorer for a file.  This was introduced
in 4.1.

We fixed a problem that prevented you from doing a bottom right and
then prior character with the mouse.

We now treat Via Voice Outloud 5.0 like Eloquence 5.0.

We now disable the abbreviation dictionary with Eloquence.

We no longer allow you to type spaces in the original field in the
exception dictionary dialog

We found cases where windows were being created as checkboxes and then
switched to radio buttons. Window-Eyes will now account for this.  Note
that this could in theory happen with buttons, checkboxes, radio
buttons, and group boxes and we take all cases in to consideration.

We removed the exclude from lines Braille option from the edit graphic
label dialog so now there is only one option to exclude from lines for
both speech and Braille.

We now support the current index feature for tab controls and the items
on the task bar.

Window-Eyes would say "menu activated" multiple times when opening the
start menu or context menus assuming that you had menu opened turned on
in verbosity.  It would also say "menu activated" if you opened and
then closed a context menu without highlighting a menu item upon
closing the context menu. This has been corrected.

We introduced a problem in to 4.1 that would cause windows-tab to read
double.  This has been corrected.

We have improved dialog reading.  Now Window-Eyes should always read
the entire dialog if you have it set to do so.  This fix is for dialogs
that first display the dialog and then fill in the text.  Window-Eyes
will wait for all the information to be displayed before starting to
read.

Window-Eyes now says "dot" rather than "point" for the period symbol
unless it is followed by a number.

We fixed problems with the compare feature of set2text not working with
differences in hyperactive coordinates.

Set2text would print values for the actions of a cursoring key when the
key itself was undefined and the output confused text2set so like
Window-Eyes set2text now only prints the actions that might be in the
set if the key itself is defined.

Set2text and Text2set can now handle upper ANSI characters for hot and
cursoring keys.

We have made a change that should improve the accuracy of hyperactive
windows and also performance.

Sometimes the Vario 40 braille display was mistaken for the Vario 80.
This has been resolved.

We made some general stability improvements.

We solved more memory leaks.