From:
Ethan Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 03:16:25 -0500
On Sat, 11 Aug 2001 16:46:06 -0500, Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
posted article <004e01c122af$07394720$8800a8c0@Treelimb>, which said:

> The reason that the 4.3 GB hard drive took the drive letter "D"
> is that is partitioned as a primary partition.  Primary
> partitions always get drive letters before logical drives in the
> extended partition.  If you reformat the drive an extended
> partition only, then the drive letter will move to the end of
> the drive letters.  You can also use a program like Partition
> Magic to change the partition from primary to extended.

Just wanted to say thanks to all who responded on the list and privately.
Replies came in like an avalanche.  I used Partition Magic to "convert" the
primary parition on the slave drive to a logical partition and it worked
like a charm.  The slave drive is now drive I.  I merged a couple of smaller
partitions to keep my CD-ROM on Drive J. :-)

Ethan