From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 1997 23:30:32 -0700
In a recent issue of the Harvard Womens Health Watch(May '97) there is an
article that abstracts two recent studies comparing bone denisity in
women (usually a good indicator of dairy consumption rates) to breast
cancer.  Those in the highest quadrant of bone denisity had a 2.5 to 3.5
times risk of breast cancer compared to those in the lowest quadrant.  As
a comparison, smoking cigarettes gives a 2 times risk of lung cancer.

Given the effect of lactation on breast tissue growth, could this
abnormal breast tissue growth (cancer) be a otherwise normal response to
some protein gone out of wack?

Most of the attention has been diverted to milk carbohydrates (lactose)
but milk proteins have also been implicated in Type I Diabetes and cronic
ear infections in children even among those who are lactose tolerant.
Constipation can also be a problem to those who consume large amounts of
cheese as many Atkins dieters will attest.

Nuts (even those of the new world) have always been eaten by primates (60
million years).  As we share this genetic immune system history, if it's
edible to a monkey it's probally OK for us.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin:A Caveman's Guide to Nutrition"
http://www.sofdesign.com/neander