From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 23:36:00 -0400
On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Grant Magnuson wrote:

> > a high starch diet probably isn't healthy for most people.
>
> I can see you won't want to join my new list called MCDOUGALL-HEALTH :)
> (http://www.drmcdougall.com/ is worth checking out)

I have this idea that "adequate protein" is a sort of dietary
anchor.  If you don't get enough you lose muscle and that's bad.
After that, I see carbs and fats on a see-saw: the more you eat
of one, the less you should eat of the other.  The mid-point is
the Zone.  I suspect that the Zone is a pretty good average value
to aim for, but individual meals and days should vary according
to specific needs.

Should I write a book?  The See-Saw diet?  It reduces to two
rules: (1) Eat enough protein.  (2) The more fat you eat, the
less carbs you should eat, and vice versa.

Should I announce a cruise?

> Atkins = very low carb + high fat
> Neanderthin = low to medium carb + normal fat (Ray suggests in his book
> that his diet is lower fat)
> McDougall = high carb + very low fat

See what I mean?

> McDougall like Atkins has cruises, tapes, books and probably t-shirts

I need a cruise.  T-shirts optional.

> The only thing I'm pretty sure of now is that NeanderThin, between you and
> me, isn't worth the paper it is written on, I'm pissed off with it and I've
> gained 15 pounds -- the more I try to follow it the worse it gets and the
> worse I feel

These sound like good reasons to stop.

> when you check that http://www.drmcdougall.com/  if I recall he has info
> stating that his diet is backed by science and research, you might be
> interested in some of the references if any or given

I seem to recall an announcement that Dr. McDougall was going to
debate Barry Sears sometime soon.

> there is one problem with all us low carbers (all humans I guess too) we
> are bias when we got something fixed in our mind and tend, whether we like
> to and even if we try not to, to avoid contrary evidence

Contrary evidence causes cognitive dissonance, which can be
downright uncomfortable.

Far better to retain a certain *playfulness* about things
dietary, and many other things too.

Todd Moody