From:
Mary Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 17:31:17 -0500
On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Jean-Claude wrote,

>what is your source ?whitch avocados are irradiated ?
>
>i have ton of avocados plants growing in my garden so at least the organic
>ones that i buy are not irradiated. i  had the impression that only avocados
>coming from mexico had for sure to be treated in one way or an other to
>cross the border.
>Do you have more information?.
>jean-claude

   About 3 or 4 years ago, when I was previously subscribed to this List,
there was a rather long thread about irradiating meats and vegetables for
the market. One major proponent of the process was a participant on this
List from France and referred us to the glories of irradiation through a
French web site (it had also been translated into English elsewhere). I
made a copy of it at the time and still have it, but my filing system is
currently not too great. When I find it, I'll let you know more details.
   One of the fruits it did mention going through irradiation is the
avocado. I get the impression from a foggy memory that this also referred
to US-produced fruits, not just out-of-country fruits.
   Hopefully, this may come to a stop for me, if my son is successful. He
will be stationed in California after being on leave with me for 45 days,
helping me move. I'm going to see if he can find me avocadoes guaranteed
not to be zapped.
   I currently purchase them at HEB in Corsicana (I know they buy a lot of
South American grapes). My car being in not too great shape, I have a hard
time making it to Whole Foods in Dallas (50 miles away) to check out their
produce.

Mary Anne
(Soon to be in Chatfield)