From:
Karl Mac Mc Kinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 1997 08:48:22 -0500
On Mon, 19 May 1997, Andrew S. Bonci, BA, DC, DAAPM wrote:

> theory proposes that the tired, sleepy, fuzzy-headed child is
> hyperactive as a desparate attempt to "STAY AWAKE" or to "FORCE
> THEMSELVES INTO THE PRESENT.  This seems plausible when one considers
> even a single episode of becoming drowsey while driving a car and
> literally STRUGGLING to stay awake and not succomb to overpowering
> gravitational forces of sleep.  Remember?  You breath deeper, move
> rapidly, perhaps even scream, sing or otherwise become "hyperkinetic".

        You know, this explains why an upper like ritalen makes these
kids calmer.

> I urge my students to avoid carbohydrate dense, specifically
> glucose-laden, meals prior to an examination.  Those who yield to this
> advice report feeling better about exams and I can say that anecdotally,
> they perform better as well.  I also have a handful of students with
> diagnoses of ADD.  They also report doing much better on a
> Neanderthin-like program.

        I'm definately going to be eating lots of pemican on exam days.
Before I would try megadoses of cafeen and suger, but they didn't work as
well as I had hoped.

Karl Alexis McKinnon|I live as the beasts in the fields, rejoicing in the
SP2                 |fleshly life. I favor the edible and curse the inedible.