From:
Jeffrey Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 1997 09:39:01 -0400
Yes, Dean, the whole complexion does change if you Jewish :)  But at
least you have the saving grace to realize that for some of us the New
Testament is not part of the Bible.
Realizing this is not a theology list, I am not going to get too
detailed.  I was basing myself on the plain text of the Bible, which
implies the following:  the earliest humans were gatherers, then came
farming, then came hunting.  The two hunters mentioned in the Bible are
those shining lights of holy virtue, Nimrod and Esau--not exactly role
models for the believer.  And then the laws of Kashrut come along, and
effectively rule out any use of hunting as a food source.
Of course, there are hints in the literal text that the situation was not
so simple--I mentioned a couple, and you mentioned some more.  But the
overall Scriptural ideal is pretty clear:  agriculture and domesticated
livestock is the ideal society; a pretty clear contrast to the Paleodiet
ideal.
Myself, I am knew to the list, and to the whole idea of Paleodiet.  One
question does occur to me.  Could not paleohumanity been capable of at
least a limited sort of agriculture.   All it would take is one gatherer
noticing that seeds produced plants, and then trying to help nature along
in some way:  no plowing or other technology, just digging a hole in the
ground, inserting seed, and waiting for the result.

  Jeffrey Smith       [log in to unmask]
O voi ch'avete li 'ntelletti sani/mirate la dottrina che s'asconde/sotto
'l velame de li versi strani [O you of sound thought, see the doctrine
which hides under the veil of strange verses]--Dante, Inferno, Canto IX