From:
Paul Getty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 19:13:52 -0400
>>Here's a question:  in a situation like mine, would a minor cavity heal
>>itself, or is any degradation of the enamel permanent?  Does anyone know if
>>damage reverses when the sugar is taken away?  I was told five years ago
>>when I left the Air Force that I had the beginnings of a cavity.  I've
>>never been to a dentist since, so I have no idea of the status of it.
><sniP>

Generally, cavities do not heal themselves.  Decay that has gotten into the
dentin has usually gotten to the point where bacteria can enter and stay
and further dissolve minerals.  However, the very first step in decay is
the demineralization of the enamel in a spot in which plaque has remained
for quite some time and has not been disturbed.  The acid produced by the
bacteria dissolves the calcium in the emanel and causes the enamel to be
chalky...at first white but this can later easily stain.  Many people have
these chalky areas around the gum line because that is where they often
leave plaque.  At this stage the decalcified area will easily become an
actual cavity because the bacteria have a foothold in the enamel in the
roughness, and then more acid causes more and more breakdown until the
bacteria reaches the dentin, which is softer.  Then the decay progresses
rapidly and soon there is physically a space for the accumulation of plaque
that a brush can't get to.

But if at the chalky stage the person starts to remove the plaque
regularly, the chalky area can remineralize.  It may remain chalky looking
but can be strong enough to actually resist further decay, especially when
fluoride is available to the site.  The fluoride replaces some of the
hydroxyapetite crystals in the enamel and is more caries resistent.  Even
without fluoride there is some remineralization.  But either way, these
areas must be kept very clean for the rest of your life.

Sugars and starches have been found to enhance decay production, but they
do not cause decay.  Bacteria in the plaque cause decay, and these bacteria
can live on teeth and produce acid even when the person is not injesting
starches or sugars.  So beware!  You are not immune on Neanderthin.  You
must remove the plaque at least once a day from all surfaces.

For the most part, hunter-gatherers are cavity free if they are eating no
modern processed food, even if they are eating alot of starch and sugar in
natural forms.  This is because their diet has so much rough fibrous
material that the plaque is removed while they are eating.  No plaque, no
decay.
Paul Getty
Morehead City, NC