From:
Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:54:24 -0500
Regarding the questions on gout: I get into debates with vegetarians from
time to time who assert that no uric acid is produced as a by-product of
digesting protein in plant foods such as nuts, etc., just from flesh or
animal foods. My strong impression has been that this contention is false,
and that uric acid is a by-product of any protein digested no matter what
source, but I can't remember where or when I may have heard this or if it
is true. Does anyone know which view is true? Also, either way the cookie
crumbles, the answer doesn't do me any good and I will be skeptical and
press you for more information (as will the people I debate) unless you can
point me to scientific references, which I really want and need. Thanks to
anyone who can help, as I know it is not easy locating references from
having spent many an hour in university libraries trying to hunt through
the literature myself!

--Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]> Wichita, KS

P.S. By the way, Dean Esmay tells me he unsubscribed from the list a few
weeks ago, so we can't depend on him anymore to be the one with his ear to
the ground on the scientific references front.