From:
Al Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 14:18:14 -0400
At 06:03 AM 5/19/97 -0700, you wrote:

>My question is, do you think some carbos are ok?  He loves, craves, carbos.
>I am able to get everything else down by having the carbos there. I eat with
>him and direct him to take one bite meat, one bite vegetable, one bite
>carbo.  If I do not watch him, he will gobble all the carbos and leave
>everything else. Not always, but he definitely craves carbos. He does love
>ground meat, like ground turkey.
>
>He is already so restricted (gluten free, casein free, yeast free!) that I
>don't see how I can take out the carbos.
>
>What does the list think?
>
>I also do rotation with the meats so one day we will have turkey all day,
>the next fish all day, and so forth.
>
>I also supplement with essential fatty oils, a multivitamin, etc.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Moira

Moira,
You don't say why you want to take him off carbohydrates.  Does he show
symptoms of autism on all carbos or just gluten?  Are there symptoms of
hyperinsulinemia/hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) leading to abnormal
cravings for carbos, or is he just hungry for them normally? (You said
he craves them "sometimes".  Maybe he just likes them a lot.  More
information is needed here.  The difference between craving and hunger
is a matter of degree and timing.  Difficult to determine in a 5 year
old.  Perhaps more variety would help.  Please elaborate on symptoms
and your own concerns.

Al (on the Big Island)