From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:31:32 -0400
On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Ward Nicholson wrote:

> Is this all there is? I ask because Kirt mentions above that he wonders
> about the cholesterol question "especially since there is so little info on
> the long-term effects of a high % meat diet." Yet Dean stated in his post
> last week (when giving the above references on long-term Eskimo diet) that:

This won't be much help, but I recall reading that the Japanese
are more prone to hemorrhagic problem, such as stroke, and less
prone to clotting problems, such as heart attacks.  According to
Barry Sears this is because their eicosanoid balance is tipped in
the opposite direction from ours.  We tend to have too many of
the pro-clotting series 2 eicosanoids, while the Japanese tend to
have not enough.  This is attributed to the high EPA levels in
their diet.  It seems to me that the same thing would apply to
traditional Eskimos, but not just to any mostly-meat diet.
Indeed, a diet low in wild game and marine oils is probably quite
likely to be tilted toward the series 2 eicosanoids.

Todd Moody