From:
Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:03:54 -0500

and Kirt said:
>The mention of cerebral hemorrhage is a little scary since this was
>supposedly a problem for the Eskimos on traditional diets. I wonder, too,
>especially since there is so little info on the longterm of a high% meat
>diet.
>
>BTW, anybody know how Stefansson died?

I know I am in danger of beating a dead horse here, but when Dean supplied
some references in response to my questions last week about possible
problems with the Eskimo diet, the only ones mentioned pertaining
specifically to the Eskimo were these two:

4) Lieb CW.  The effects of an exclusive, long-continued meat diet. JAMA
1926;87:25-26)
5) Stefansson, Vilhjalmur. "Adventures In Diet."  Harper's Monthly,
December 1929, January 1930, February 1930.

Is this all there is? I ask because Kirt mentions above that he wonders
about the cholesterol question "especially since there is so little info on
the long-term effects of a high % meat diet." Yet Dean stated in his post
last week (when giving the above references on long-term Eskimo diet) that:

>EVERY [emphasis not in original] study done on this to date shows that it
>>causes no ill effects whatsoever for the Inuit--or the Europeans who
>adapted to >it.(4,5)

also that:
>ALL accounts [emphasis not in original] by anthropologists who were
>visiting >the eskimo around the turn of the century show uniformly that
>they were a >hearty, upright, strong-limbed people who remained active and
>healthy until >death(5)

Both of these statements that "EVERY study done" and "ALL accounts by
anthropologists" show "no ill effects whatsoever" cite only the above two
references. With due respect, that doesn't seem like very much evidence. Or
am I completely missing something here? Are there perhaps a number of other
observational accounts or studies being referred to, of which Dean cited
only two (perhaps just out of expedience)--or among more systematic or
scholarly accounts are there just the ones by Lieb and Stefansson? If so, I
would be interested in seeing a listing of the refs that I could follow up.
Thanks,

--Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]> Wichita, KS

P.S. This is a little off the subject, but when mentioning possible
downsides, I have heard from enthusiasts of caloric restriction research
(not individuals whose judgment I particularly respect, but nonetheless I
have heard this) that the scientific research on calorically restricted
animals shows high levels of protein to be an aging factor in the lab.
Whether this is true or not, I don't know (I wouldn't be particularly
enthused to see it be true, since I like quite a bit of protein myself),
but is there anybody here who has kept up on the caloric restriction
research that could fill us in? Would appreciate it. (By the way, there is
a research-oriented caloric restriction listgroup on the net. Perhaps I
could just go sign up briefly and ask the question there.)