NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Patty Majerik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:56:34 -0500
Tofutti makes a frozen pizza called pizza pizzaz with dairy-free cheese on
it, and it is quite tasty and also quick to make (and a hit with kids)!

It definitely is a challenge cooking and baking without dairy IF you are
used to having it and then can't (you or a family member).  But there are
lots of meals that do not rely on cheese or dairy if you really think
about it.  Spaghetti with meat sauce (browned ground beef mixed in some
marina sauce) is usually a favorite with most kids.  Some dairy-free side
dishes that are hits with my family include mashed potatoes (use soy milk
or good quality chicken stock), french fries, pasta, cous cous,
cornbread/corn muffins (homemade-- they keep well in the freezer)and
rice.

A g
ood quick weeknight meal for us is a rotisserie chicken from Whole
Foods and mashed potatoes, fresh veggies and fruit salad.  Whole Foods has
a nice line of gravies that are dairy-free also (but always check the
label).  Risotto is another hit here, I know it is not a super quick
weeknight meal but if you make it with a leftover cooked meat or
proscuitto and a veggie then it is a one dish meal.  One of my quickest
meals is gemeli pasta with zukes, red pepper, and a "flavored" chicken
sausage-- such as apple or roasted red pepper (available at Whole Foods
and Trader Joe's).  These sausages are very flavorful and also precooked
so you can slice them and brown them quickly while the pasta is cooking.
Combine all this is a bit of good olive oil and you have a nice meal!

Pork tenderloins cook quickly enough to be a good weeknight meal too.  Try
one with a flavored olive oil drizzled over it while it roasts in the
 oven
(such as roasted garlic olive oil).  Or slice thinly and cook in a skillet
with some vegetable oil-- 3-4 minutes on each side usually does it.

When I first started to cook dairy-free, a lot of my meals were very
bland.  Since then, I try to add flavor with fresh and dried
herbs,flavored oils, vinegars (balsamic is my favorite) salsas, roasted
garlic, and fruit or vegetable based sauces.  I made a plum sauce recently
by cooking about 4 chopped plums in some water with a bit of salt and
sugar and cooking it until it reduced to a sauce like consistency (about
15 minutes), it was great over chicken!  Cooking Light magazine has been a
good source of ideas for me also.

I have heard there is a book called the Uncheese Cookbook, and the recipes
utilize nutritional yeast to achieve cheese-like flavor.  I would like to
see the book itself and flip through it before buying and haven't been

able to locate it thus far but it sounds promising.

Once you get a few good dairy-free meals that your family likes, it will
get easier.  And just think how much healthier you all will be for eating
homecooked meals instead of processed foods!  Sometimes I wonder if all
those additivies and genetically modified foods in our diets isn't partly
to blame for the rise in food allergies.