NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:41:48 -0400
At 02:39 PM 4/7/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>I don't understand why meat products need dairy in them... So many salami,
>sausage and pepperoni  prepared meats around here (Toronto) have some dairy
>in them. I guess our Italian and German recipes come from different parts
>of the "old country" than yours did <g>.

Yup - mine came from the kosher tradition, where it's just plain illegal to
mix milk and meat. Sure helps us to see the "kosher" label on meats, and
the "pareve" label on other foods.

>If I can't read the label, I don't buy them. That's my story and I'm
>sticking to it. Unfortunately I have broken that rule a few times, e.g.,
>buying English "bangers" (sausages) from a deli counter. I guessed right
>there but it was still chancey.

I've guessed wrong about some andui (sp?) sausage and suffered the
consequences. So did my son, and we spent the remainder of my birthday
dinner out with our hands nervously gripping the EpiPen. :-(

Now we always ask to see the ingredients list, too.

When in doubt...

Mark Feblowitz

Standard disclaimer - I am not a doctor, and am not  giving you advice
on how  you   should  treat your  illness.  If you  decide to  use  my
experience  as a guide, do so  only with the  permission of, and under
the supervision of, a licensed physician.