CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 09:14:49 -0700
http://www.theage.com.au/news/2001/10/09/feedback.html

THE WAR ON TERROR

The bombing of Afghanistan, which began on Monday, is the first act in a war which the US intends to wage against terror. There is an air of uncertainty worldwide - the common fear of the unknown. As far as Australia is concerned, several other things have added to the sense of doom and gloom.

Today, this forum is open to any views on the bombing and what you think will happen next. If you'd like to talk about the war, express your fears, or voice hope, send in an email.

Click here to send us your views.
Emails must include your name and address.

(Press Shift-Refresh or Shift-Reload to see the latest messages.)

As far as I can tell, the whole argument against military action is based on the idea that if the US had done nothing apart from wallow in apologies and self-recrimination following the WTC attack, then Bin Laden (and don't tell me anyone still seriously doubts his responsibility given his recent gloating video) would have decided that he had made his point, and would therefore desist from any future actions.

Are you people serious? Do you actually believe that the US was in a position to 'break the cycle of violence'? Do you really believe that negotiations, aid, humanitarian assistance etc. would have stopped another attack? Do you believe that if the US completely withdrew from the Middle East, peace and plenty would prevail, and the Arab states would live in happy co-existence with Israel? How many US civilians would have to be killed before their government had a right to act - 20,000, 50,000, 100,000? Forget justice, revenge or any other moral concept - this is about self defence, pure and simple. Now off you go and hold your peace candles and sing your little songs, whilst the rest of us do our best to deal with reality. Kurt Weideling

I am merely a high school student, although not part of the S11, I remember John Howard basically saying that youth should stick in school and that we have no opinions of our own as do "pawns" in a chess game. Sometimes I wish that Howard would shut his gob and think (as we youths do) before offering our "close to non-existent" military services to an America that was hurting and angry.

Where is the line between 'justice' and 'revenge'? Is America hiding behind the word "Justice" merely to seek revenge? To me, it isn't hard to realise why the Afghans despise America so much; they used these people to fight the wars on communisim. The Americans were never 'on the front' and pushed Afghanistan until it was torn to bits. Did not Adolf Hitler grow up hating the world that hurt his country? Well, how is that different from these youths in the Middle East - who then become terrorists when they grow older? I'm not condoning the acts of terrorism in America. I think it's very sad, but in reply to Luke Skilbeck, I'd like to ask, 'Just who threw the first stone?'. Is it not evident that the US pushed Afghanistan to some extent? - that they 'threw the first stone'? I wonder, how bombing Afghanistan will bring peace to the world. Is this not just saying that whoever is bigger and stronger and has more friends can punish and rule over others? What is the world exactly condoning? That violence and war solves everything? How barbaric! And we supposedly live in a civilised world. Do two wrongs, make a right? I sound like a 'tree-hugging hippie' - I'm shocked. But when has punishment solved anything? It deters it for a while (as can be seen from WW1) and then they come back bigger and stronger and more revengeful (WW2).
Don't let history repeat itself. Let us learn from history. I hope for peace in the world. I guess I am a naive little girl.
Jeannette Ngau

Why is Australia getting involved in something that concerns America? The terrorist attacks were never aimed at Australia - nor will they be if we mind our own business. America starts problems around the globe and that is why they get the terrorist reprisals. Not long ago they bombed a country called Serbia and through the media satanised its citizens because they were cracking down on terrorists in their own country. These terrorists have links to Osama bin Laden. To make things more ironic - the Americans trained him themselves. He is their Frankenstein. They created him and they should deal with him and not drag the rest of the civilised world into this.

The real reason they want a coalition is simple. They supply the weapons and the the other idiots are there to pay for their use. They still profit from the war and the American economy prospers while the others go into debt! We should mind our own business and let the Americans play war games with the Muslims of the world. We don't need the trouble. We should take a leaf out of Switzerland's book. Stay neutral and no problems. Otherwise prepare for trouble!
Michael Markovic

The conflict in Afghanistan is a war against a despotic, sociopathic, abusive regime of self styled and ultimately doomed student extremists. How can those who protest at attempts to remove the Taliban from power by force, primarily left wing groups who themselves support international human rights efforts, argue against a war aimed at removing one ungodly, sinister regime? Is it not clear to the protesters, particularly females, that if the Taliban is removed and a more moderate, human rights respecting government restored, then the situation for women and children would greatly improve?

The Taliban only understand the use of force. It is the only alternative to bringing about change in Afghanistan. The chance for families to return from pitiful squalor to a country free from oppression and ethnic cleansing. This, I believe, is the dream that must be realised for the people of Afghanistan. Food drops are a good sign of the humanitarian will to be found amongst the allied forces. And that will must not stop with the toppling of the Taliban. Aid and investment for years to come could greatly help the nation back to its feet. No one likes war. However it is a reality that at this juncture in Afghanistan's history, war is the only way to remove the evil that is the Taliban. If you want to talk diplomacy to them you can try. You would probably be locked up for looking them in the eye.
Kaj Andersson

This Hollywood movie is proceeding on script, the obvious baddie is being beaten up big, but what is the surprise ending? Will the good cops interview the 4,000 people who mysteriously stayed away from WTC on September 11? Or unmask the businessman with a nose for a good deal who reportedly bought and over-insured the WTC four days before it was destroyed? Will an unlikely character unearth the black boxes that show three of the planes were guided by remote control? Not likely, that's not in the script. But hasn't anyone noticed some glaring holes in the storyline to date, or are we all too busy munching popcorn? Roger Gould

At last the US is taking revenge. They had no choice, it is good that they want to destroy terrorism. They are not against the Afghan people. People who enjoy the Taliban are not welcome anymore. Morris Groll

As a concerned parent I would appreciate a definitive statement from each of the major political parties as to their current policy on military conscription. And given the current state of play (today, and that there is no further escalation in the fight against terrorism or an invasion of Australia) will this policy change over the next term? Dennis Kay

Leading up to World War II, Germans, who had been living in impoverishment for 20 years after the harsh Treaty of Versailles, turned,in their desperation and humiliation, to an insane lunatic, and, thus the world suffered bloodshed on a massive scale. Germans at the time were portrayed as insane, crazy, and somewhat less than human. We now know this to be untrue and, fortunately, the world learnt its lesson and both Japan and Germany were allowed to rebuild their economies, their living standards, their self respect.

Currently, we have Arabs who have either had their country taken away from them - Palestine - or who have been living in impoverishment for a decade - Iraq. In their desperation and humiliation, they are turning to another insane lunatic, and themselves are being portrayed as insane, crazy and somewhat less than human. Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat its mistakes. Philip Borrell

Alison Uding says: I'd just like to say that America bombing Afghanistan is not going to solve anything. It is just going to make matters worse.
How does one play nice with terrorists? Play nice, and the terrorists will take advantage of you. For example, the terrorists took advantage of America's generous immigration policies. Being nice to terrorists will not make them go away. No one is "becoming more hostile" to America, they've always been hostile. Shahid Mian says: What kind of freedom are we talking about here? Freedom to attack a free country to hunt down a group of terrorists?
Surely, the "free country" in question is not Afghanistan ? America tried the diplomatic avenues. America presented evidence to several countries, including Pakistan. But they don't need to present evidence anyway, because Osama is already wanted for several other attacks. Linda Moloney says: Are we a world of sheep? The US tells the world who the supposed enemy is, yet still no evidence has appeared for public scrutiny ... but Osama and his friends have been wanted for years for involvement in several other attacks, including this one. That they are terrorists, and that they are guilty, is no secret. However, handing evidence over to those who can use it to their advantage is not a risk that the US wants to or should take. Donovan Rebbechi

I just want to ask where everyone learned about the whole situation - CNN? newspaper? online? Where did your sources get their information? The public (me, you, everyone else) is always left in the dark, so everyone take a good look at what they 'know' while they express their sometimes very strong opinion in public. Things are not always what they seem.
George Mamouzellos

The bombing of Afghanistan will get us nowhere. Pakistan is the real culprit. The ISI, Pakistan's intelligence agency, created the Taliban. The US provided the money for this by way of funds for the Afghan war 20 years ago. Pakistan actually created Taliban and its terrorist progeny like Al-Qaida to destabilise India. The move has backfired because Al-Qaida under Osama bin Laden and Taliban are no longer controlled by Pakistan. Funds for Al-Qaida and Taliban come from the narcotics trade.

The solution?

1. Destroy all poppy cultivation in Afghanistan. This will dry up terrorist funds. 2. Hold back all assistance to Pakistan. West must force Pakistan to install a representative democratic government.
3. Stop all military supplies to Pakistan, whether as aid or as commercial supplies. Like Japan, force Pakistan to limit its
spending on armed forces and armament supplies. Most of this item is spent by Pakistan to foment militancy in India.
4. Help Pakistan rebuild its economy. The Pakistani people will have something to lose if their country gets destabilised.

The West must recognise that India has fought Kasmir war in 1948 and three subsequent wars with Pakistan only when Pakistan crossed its borders. Every Indian understands that an economically prosperous Pakistan will become a peace loving neighbour in order not to to lose its economic gains.

R.J. Mankad

I don't think anyone likes or encourages the concept of war. It is something in modern society that we all would preferably try to avoid at all costs. The attacks against the Taliban is the only reasonable response to the astrocities of the events of September 11. I think it is obvious that diplomatic talks are not going to solve the problem. What other option does America have? A country can't just sit there absorbing a massive terrorist attack like that on September 11 without doing anything. Otherwise do we just give the responsible parties a warning that you might retaliate if they happen to do it again. And if they do it again, do you give them another warning to just to avoid starting a war?

Military strikes were always the only viable retaliation, unless conditions were met - it wasn't. Military strikes may come at the cost of lives of other innocent civilian people throughout Afganistan, I don't think it is America's or any other allied countries direct fault. If the Taliban want to be recognised as the governing body, decisions that they make reflect on the people in that country. The Taliban had ample time to agree to conditions set by America, but they choose not. They refused to hand over those with known associations to terrorist groups, but instead hid them and initially denied knowing their whereabouts. Thus they are responsible for any resultant actions taken. I don't believe anyone could think that America's requests to the Taliban were unreasonable considering what happened in NY and Washington. I don't like war. I don't like to hear the news of bomb raids, but it is a situation that now can't be avoided. Let's just hope that it ends soon, so we can all get on with our own lives, and try to live in a society rid of fear. Jonathan Neilson

This will be a long war. Religion is a very strong weapon. We must try and educate all. Suggestions are drop leaflets ( already started , very good). Give them computers with built-in TV card, fully loaded with learning software, take special note with power, suggest 12 volt plug to car battery. Make these affordable or better still, free. Even free Internet access. It will still take many years (25 minimum) but I find this to be the only way. For any change to take effect we must educate. and make it palatable. Never force anything on anybody, try friendly persuasion.
Bert Doensen

If only "smart bombs" could differentiate between an evil terrorist and a helpless refugee! Russell Murphy

My view is now that terrorism has been put into the spotlight it now needs to be thought through exactly what has been happening before and what is likely to happen in the future. The people who have encouraged terrorisim and those who have been affected need to call a truce and look at the reasons from both sides to work out why they are doing these acts and what can be done to bring peace to the regions that are being affected by terrorism. This is not an easy task as it takes two to tango and if you are not all dancing the same steps (i.e. peaceful resolutions) then we who have no control of what is likely to happen will lose our normal living styles and will be destined to become house bound because of fear. Both sides believe they are fighting for the right belief and that their views are the only ones that matter and all should follow the one belief. D. Chamberlain

The root of the problem here is that there is a vast number of people in the Middle East with anti-American views. Throwing missiles at them is unlikely to resolve that problem. If the money spent on these missiles were instead spent on improving relations with these people a more speedy and longer lasting peace will be found. Of course, that would not do nearly as much to improve the ratings of our leaders to the majority who vote for them. It is a sad reflection of society that we need to cater to the whims of that majority. At least, I hope that is Howard's motivation. I cannot believe that an intelligent person would think that this course of action is the right one.
Kevin Neale

War sucks. No doubt about it. But there is more to consider here. The United States is a more or less free nation. I can walk to the local convenience store and get a pack of smokes without being arbitrarily searched by police. I can be a Wiccan without being burned at the stakes by fundamentalist judges. I can call my friends and family without being snooped on by the FBI. I can visit the closest city, in nearby Tennesee without needing permission papers to cross state lines. The United States is not as free or fair as I would like but I can't honestly deny that freedom permeates every aspect of my daily life: from my dress to my diet, from my employment to my uni career, from my movement to my place of worship. Freedom is not the easiest path to walk. With that freedom comes a certain vulnerability.

While I can visit another nation and return without being violated by arbitrary search and detainment, terrorists can use that freedom to smuggle their kamikaze pilots into the country. While I can study any subject I choose, terrorists can use our own educational institutions to hone their murderous skills. While I can walk down the street with a joint in my pocket, without worrying that police will search me for no reason, a terrorist can do the same with a bomb in his coat. Terrorists have been using our freedom as a weapon to strike at us. I cherish my freedom. Not only would I die for it, I will live for my freedom. I devote my thoughts, time, energy, money, and blood to greater freedom for Americans and people worldwide. Terrorism is not a war on a government, it is a war on an entire culture. Its goal is to ensure that people fear everyone around them. I don't want my freedoms to be crushed by terrorists. I refuse to allow it. Rather than shred our Bill of Rights and police everyone's thoughts, words, and movements, America's leaders have chosen to take the war home to the culprits. The Taliban have sheltered Osama bin Laden, knowing full well he is a terrorist. They have protected him from justice. Not only are we justified in attacking, we must attack. Shelter, support, and fundraising are the tools with which the September 11 attacks were orchestrated. America is faced with a choice of destroying our own freedom to react to terrorists in our midst or hunting them down at the source. This is a no-brainer, folks. Without a safe place to hide, camps to train, and funds to purchase arms, supplies, and transport, terrorists cannot carry out complicated attacks such as those on September 11. We must attack their financiers. We must destroy their safe havens. We must keep them running. We cannot do this when nations welcome them with open arms and shelter them from the consequences of their actions. The Taliban must face the consequences for sheltering and supporting Osama bin Laden, not only to flush him out, but to make it clear to other terror states that this is not a winning strategy. They can no longer hide behind the banner of "freedom fighters" or "refugees." We can no longer allow nations to play friendly with diplomatic masturbation while supporting the murder of American citizens. Bombing Afghanistan alone won't fix this, but their lack of cooperation requires a military response. And innocent people will die. Afghan workers and peasants will suffer. I hate that fact, as do most Americans. We must, however, face the fact that if we intend to protect our freedom, we can no longer allow terror states to use their own civilians as hostages. The Taliban has murdered more Afghans than this war can possibly match. Like Iraq, they carefully place their military infrastructure on or near children's hospitals, humanitarian works, and other high-density civilian buildings. And the world press, which is kept on a short leash, is always welcomed to show the mangled corpses of innocent children which were carefully orchestrated for our viewing pleasure. These casualties are murdered by the hands of the Taliban, not the laser guided bomb that obediently hit its military target. Wake up people, freedom really is at stake here and some of us are letting the most ruthless murderers our world has seen play our heartstrings like a cheap guitar. Thousands of French civilians doed when bombing Nazi targets during WWII. I don't hear the French calling it atrocity. They called it liberation.
Afghanistan is not a free nation. It's a slave farm, run by murderers and torturers. It is a terror state which would have made Hitler proud. The Taliban's every action since taking power has been to crush or control every man, woman and child in that nation. You can't fight a war without killing. Civilian deaths are a cold, hard reminder of the cost of war. But do remember that you shed more tears over the death of Afghans than the Taliban does. While you cry at the pictures on the TV, the Taliban is erecting a missile launcher on the roof of the local primary school and calling CNN to wait for the explosion. Ezra B. Riner

Just a question or three and a brief note. If Australia surrendered a resident who claimed innocence without the production of good evidence would you be proud to live here? What has the Taleban done outside the borders of their own country that they deserve to be bombed? Could Osama Bin Ladin get a fair trial in America? Has America officially declared war on Afghanistan? There are two alternatives, the rule of law or the rule of might. I'll go for the rule of law. It is the only way we can win. Geoff Marshall

Last month, the world was shocked and stunned by the horrific suicide attacks in New York and Washington. Images of buildings melting into rubble flooded our news and we mourned for American civilians who lost loved ones in this tragedy. Terrorism is a violation of peace and of human rights and is utterly opposed to the principles that underpin democracy. How can the free world then condone the action currently undertaken against civilians of Afghanistan? US and British bombing of Kabul can only be described as reciprocal terrorism. Worse, it is state-sponsored terrorism that is endorsed, even glamorised by the Western media. No war has been declared - no war can be declared as terrorism constitutes a separate class of action under international law. This is simply revenge. And the chosen target for US wrath is a city full of starving Afghans trapped in a devastated landscape by the Taliban and the closed borders that surround them.

Moreover, it is the Western world that has trapped them there. We cannot forget that it was the US-sponsored war against the Soviet-backed regime in Kabul (1980s) that paved the way for the Taliban. Osama Bin Laden and his mujahideen were armed and trained by the CIA and MI6, as Afghanistan was turned into a wasteland and its communist leader deposed. After bin Laden disavowed allegiance to the US, the West imposed sanctions which has pushed over four million Afghans (including women and children) to the brink of starvation. Those who have not yet fled the country are those who lack the psychological wherewithal to flee. These are the people we are punishing with cruise missiles. Are we so proud of our actions that we can inscribe our bombs with dedications to those who have died in the US? Apparently. Can we hope to avenge their deaths by the murder of other innocents? Of course not. This is clearly wrong. It is also extremely dangerous. On a local scale, we have already witnessed indiscriminate violent crimes against people perceived to be Muslim in Western capitals including our own cities. Afghans, Muslims and other non-white minority groups are becoming increasingly alienated. On a global scale, we run the risk of polarising the world into conflict - even war - between Islam and the West. And here we are simply making common cause with bin Laden, who hopes to initiate a holy war between the infidels and a purified Islam as his recent address. Who really has the "belly" for this? It is up to us to petition our governments to cease their support of the US and British air strikes. Bin Laden and the al Qaeda must be brought to justice but there are more effective ways to achieve this. Send Special Forces and ground troops to bring the perpetrators of the New York and Washington tragedies to justice. But do not visit the horrors of war on the destitute people of Afghanistan who are in fact the first victims of our terrorist enemies. S. Suares

The acts of terror are being perpetrated by a minority of Muslims. Indeed the US, UK and NATO have defended Muslims in the wars that have raged recently in Croatia and Albania. I do not see Muslims per se defending there own kind or making holy war on Serbia (who were carrying on a bitter racial cleansing of Muslims)as is required by the Koran. Indeed the God that Muslims worship would be praising the US for its defence of his people.

To date the Americans have exercised great restraint and have carefully chosen there targets with pinpoint accuracy. There will be casualties and that will be unfortunate but the ultimate aim is give Afghanistan back to the majority and not this barbarous minority who are driving their own people out of the country as refugees and stop the need for ordinary God-fearing Muslims to flee their homeland. Jim Manning

To those who claim 'war never solved anything': I invite you to make this claim in the face of those liberated from Nazi death camps. To claim war has never done any good is to ignore the reality of history. Can you imagine how things would have been if the 'war is never good' crowd had their way in regards to WWII? Very scary thought. I thank God for the brave men and women who've given thier lives over the years to protect our freedom and way of life.
Sean Conlin

Who killed 6,000 people in lower Manhattan on September 11? The US government named a Saudi born dissident as the super criminal a few hours after the attack and are now in the process of destroying the government and killing the people of Afghanistan simply because that man is probably there. Well, they have an excuse. They cannot do much about the brave (and perhaps, from a Western point of view, misguided) people who piloted the attack aircraft so skillfully - they are all dead.

Let us look at what happened. Several groups of people entered the United States, mostly using forged credentials - a failure of the US Immigration and Naturalization Service. They lived there for a year and were trained there as commercial airline pilots by US flying schools, quite possibly with subsidies from the US government. They were able to board four separate aircraft at three different international airports (including Dulles airport which is probably still operated by the US federal government) carrying knives - a failure of airport security. They were able to take over those aircraft relatively easily, including gaining access to the cockpits, using only very simple knives as weapons, and apparently without having any real opposition on three of the flights - a failure of airline passenger security procedures. They were able to divert those carefully scheduled flights and fly over four hundred miles at right angles to the normal flight path - a failure of air traffic oversight and a potential flight hazard of considerable magnitude. Finally, they were able to fly these large aircraft low over La Guardia airport and into lower Manhattan, one of the most highly regulated pieces of airspace in the world, apparently without raising any alarm.
We all know, having seen the graphic television broadcasts, that two of these aircraft each hit a tower of the World Trade Center about two thirds of the way up. These impacts and the resulting explosion of tons of jet fuel did a lot of initial damage to the buildings and killed a lot - certainly several hundred - of people. They were however, only indirectly responsible for the deaths of a further five thousand people who died because the buildings collapsed catastrophically one hour later. The failure here was clearly one of inadequate construction methods, inadequate or inadequately enforced building regulations, and simple greed in creating these monuments to capitalism "on the cheap".
Thus, if the number of deaths is the criteria on which the Bush-Blair war is based, then it should be directed 10 percent towards the planners of the attacks and 90 percent towards the failed regulators and criminally negligent builders. It is clear that this has been recognised but papered over by the US authorities and that the war is mainly a smokescreen to divert those who might otherwise start pointing fingers at home. If we go deeper into the reasons for the attack - the "hatred of America" - which is really a hatred of US domination tactics through both government and commercial (multinational) company activities. The United States is two-faced in every respect. It preaches that democracy is the aim, but is very pally with Saudi Arabia, one of the least democratic countries in the world, where dissent can result in banishment (as in the case of bin Laden) or death. The US decries terrorist tactics but is probably the greatest trainer of "national or ethnic insurgents" in the world - and suffers itself when those CIA trained insurgents turn on the US - suddenly becoming "terrorists". It employs wanted criminals outside the US to disrupt societies and governments which it does not like. It indoctrinates foreign nations with anti-government prpaganda. If the US is seriously interested in the elimination of terrorism (which can no more be eliminated by war than could drugs a generation ago) it should abjure all efforts at undermining foreign governments, the training of foreign nationals in sabotage and guerilla warfare, the employment of foreign dissidents or criminals or any other person who would not meet federal employment requirements if in the US, and should police the operations of US based multinationals to ensure that they do not interfere in foreign government policy or attempt to sell products which could not be sold in the US. Peter Lees, England

All religion should be banned. It only achieves hatred and bloodshed. As for people saying why won't the world negotiate with the Taliban - the world did negotiate, they even showed the Taliban proof that bin Laden was behind the terrorists attacks. What more do you want done? Justice needs to be done. Maybe all the do-gooder wimps should head over to Afghanistan and negotiate with the Taliban. You will more than likely be jailed or sent back home in a coffin.
Jody Henderson

When asked how World War III would be fought, Einstein replied that he didn't know. But he knew how World War IV would be fought: "With sticks and stones!" I just pray that this campaign of war against merciless mercenaries is focused on eliminating an ethos that puts greater emphasis on its international political cause then its domestic social responsibilities. Without this focus the stability of this already fragile region may fragment, creating a much wider conflict. Stephen Russo

I'd just like to say that America bombing Afghanistan is not going to solve anything. It is just going to make matters worse. Already we are seeing countries becoming even more hostile against America and the UK. It won't be long until they start burning Australia's flag too. Gas mask anyone? Alison Uding

Re: Duncan Cummings' monograph, I think he missed the point entirely. The crusades were in the name of religion. It matters not how exactly they were defined for the poor wretches who were tortured and killed. Of course we can see it for what it was now. And now Bin Laden is using his and his followers' religious beliefs as justification for their acts of barbarism. Who on earth knows or understands how Bin Laden has reformulated the laws of Islam to suit his own agenda? The sad fact is that he has. Adrian Norgate

This war on Afghanistan is being waged in the name of "Enduring Freedom". What kind of freedom are we talking about here? Freedom to attack a free country to hunt down a group of terrorists? If this is the new world order than I'm sure this world is doomed. The only principle the Americans are adhering to is that "might is right". They closed down all the doors of negotiations in the pretext of no negotiations with terrorists. They did not provide any evidence of Bin Laden's involvement to the world. Is it justice? Killing innocent people with bombs and missiles and then dropping food parcels, what kind of hypocrisy is this? Do dead people need food? And would this campaign solve the problem for good? Nobody with a rational mind can comprehend war as a solution of this problem. Americans spent $300 million on the first day of the campaign but they did not use that kind of money to rebuild Afghanistan after using Afghans to defeat communism. Had they done that then they would not have any problem today.
Shahid Mian

It is ironic that sometimes a country has to be destroyed to be saved. But when the destruction is limited to the institutions of state control and military infrastructure it is beneficial; the tools of oppression are denied to the oppressors. The campaign in Afghanistan, by all accounts, is limited to the destruction of the Taliban military machine by military strength, followed up by a police action to hunt down terrorists. Anti-Taliban elements will provide an Afghan solution to the Taliban problem. Afghanistan can certainly do with fewer weapons and with the removal of terrorists. Add a humanitarian aid programme extended though the harsh winter plus a bonus of destroying the large Taliban heroin stocks and the Afghan people are winners. Whether some form of stable government will evolve in Afghanistan is something for the future, but the removal of the monstrous Pakistani-conceived and installed and Al Qaeda-corrupted Taliban is a pre-requisite. Diplomacy will be needed to ensure that Pakistan abandons its evil scheme of using Afghanistan as a proxy which supplies terrorists to fight against India in Kashmir in the hope of achieving terror that was not attainable by military force. Let us hope that we can see the birth of a a new Afghanistan from the rubble, in the same way as we saw a new democratic, prosperous and peaceful Japan arise from the ashes of a dangerous, militiaristic regime. John Stanton, USA

Firstly, only he who is without sin should throw the first stone. I sympathise deeply with the innocent Afghans who have been killed, but it is better for some to die for the sake of many. May innocent Afghanis be highly honored. If we don't get these terrorists, they'll kill many more innocent people in the world. Luke Skilbeck

Americans are condemned whether or not they get involved in Middle Eastern affairs After a brief lull (one could hardly call it a decent interval) it seems America-bashing is back in fashion. Melissa Martin

While the technology of war is very advanced and incredibly impressive, it must be recognised that our technology of peace appears to be non-existent. In the 21st century, it would seem that war is still the only way to secure peace, and death the only way to preserve life. True, we have learnt to kill better, but wouldn't it have been a much bigger achievement if we had learnt not to kill better? Chris Moore

A very high price is about to be paid by the Taliban for their attacks on the World Trade Center. For years, since Desert Storm, the US has been fairly tolerant of the escalating rhetoric against the West and indeed had pulled all of its inspectors out of Iraq, had been extremely relaxed about immigration of highly suspect people, but now the tide will turn and it will be a cleansing of enormous proportions..."nowhere to run...nowhere to hide", as the old song goes, and so it goes for the Taliban...and next will be Libya, and next old Saddam...make no mistake about it, the beat goes on, and there will be hell to pay for the September 11 atrocities. Chad Riddle, Salem, Oregon, USA

My countrymen and I in America salute Australia for your help in the crucial war to end world terrorism. As an American with a daughter and Australian son-in-law (Melbourne) who currently live in the shadow of New York City's devastated World Trade Center, you have our eternal gratitude and respect. Australia, the UK, France, Canada, the US and others are showing great leadership in standing up to a ruthless fanaticism that murders thousands of innocents, espouses suicide for its young, and seeks to ruin the peace of every non-follower's daily life. The test of a nation is its deeds. Australia, your steadfastness serves to remind good people everywhere that what matters is not cleaver words, but courageous action. Our heartfelt thanks. Your longstanding, loyal, very admiring friends in America, Marjorie A. Parsons

I wonder how many people who condemn these attacks would change their mind if it was their partner, mother, father or children who died a horrible death at the hands of Osama bin Laden and his terrorist networks. He is responsible for the deaths of nearly 6,000 innocent people in the most horrific piece of cowardly acts ever seen in the modern world. These attacks have nothing to do with religion, they have nothing to do with the Afghanistan people, it is purely a case of eliminating and destroying the training camps for these terrorist groups so that the world may be a safer place to live. Sadly, civilians may be lost to win this war, but let's not forget the innocent people who died in New York and Washington. If people think war is not the answer, please give us all a safer alternative, but negotiation is not an option as terrorists are cowards who will not stop their evil acts by talking alone.
Phill Oliver

To all those bleeding hearts out there : The Taliban and Al-Qaeda understand nothing of your concepts of peace, freedom and love. They feel no pain, no pity, no compassion and no fear. There are so many things Australians take for granted. One of them is our freedom and liberty. If it wasn't for the United States, we may very well know nothing of this freedom, the former dictatorial Japan (circa 1940s) would have taken care of that. The same goes for most of Europe, under the horrific and murderous regime of Hitler. Our troops fought valiantly against Japan in the Pacific, but be realistic, if it wasn't for the US we would be speaking Japanese now.

Obviously history should teach us many things, perhaps even the futility of war. It should also teach us to know evil when we see it. The Taliban and Al Qaeda are so full of evil they distort their peaceful religion to propagate death and misery. Afghans are not free, they know nothing of the liberties that we take for granted. Women are persecuted and children indoctrinated to hatred. Not only do we owe America our support, and not only does America have the right to defend its own freedom, but we also owe it to ourselves to take a stand. Sam Dwight

The people who are opposed to fighting the Taliban regime and the terrorists that it supports, funds and harbours are making the same arguments made against fighting the Nazis in 1939 when they invaded Poland. Their views are sadly naive. There are regimes and despots in this world with whom negotiation and civilised debate are just not possible. The Taliban had their chance. This is now on their heads. I am very proud that Australia is standing by the side of the US and making a principled stand before it is too late. Rob Shilkin

No-one wants war but the terriorists cannot be let off. They don't think like most of us. Their God is the only one and we are infidels in their eyes. They don't wish to sit at a table to talk peace - they want blood. The world will not be a happy place for some time.
Charles Conlan

Adrian Norgate remarked that this suffering currently infecting the world is "all in the name of religion", which is like saying the Crusades were all in the name of religion, instead of thinly veiled racism and hatred. To imply that Bin Laden or any other terrorists are acting in the name of Islam or any other religion is an isult to every person who believes in that faith. Bin Laden no more acted within the guidelines and laws of Islam that Adolf Hitler acted within the rules of Christianity. This is not religion, this is hatred. These two things are opposites - religion is based around a shared love, compassion, respect and kindness for every other human being; the attack on America and its sickening counter-attack on innocent Afghans are based on none of these principles. Duncan Cumming

It is ironic that the the world's richest nation is bombing one of the world's poorest nations. How much more satisfactory it would be if the US spent a few billion repairing Afghanistan's broken down infrastructure and supplying food? The bombing will be counter-productive, as in Iraq, people will unite behind the Taliban government, vile though it is, in opposition to America. The Northern Alliance, represented by suited spokespeople speaking comparatively good English, will be perceived as American quislings. It is stupid to think that delivering a food parcel between two bombs will create goodwill. In Australia that would be called a s**t sandwich.
Nicholas Beaumont

I'm tired of all those people quoting Gandhi out of context - "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". Gandhi had a strategy for getting the British out of India using non-violent civil disobedience. The Indians were asked not to obey the British, in a non-violent manner, thus making governing India impossible for the British. Gandhi, along with the members of the Indian Congress Party had a plan that incorporated non-violence into a strategy for getting the British (who by the way were not a terrorist force) out of India. The same does not apply to the Taliban or Osama bin Laden - who, by the way, are nothing like the British in India! Is there an effective and credible strategy using non-violence against the Taliban and Osama bin Laden that has been proposed? Being non-violent against the Taliban or Osama bin Laden will achieve nothing but instead will only encourage them. Not fighting back will be perceived as a sign of weakness. Ravi Varman

Are we a world of sheep? The US tells the world who the supposed enemy is, yet still no evidence has appeared for public scrutiny - I want evidence, so I can then form an opinion, one that is based on fact and not speculative or emotional! To know the answer why, to this current wave or any other act of terrorism - please ask yourself, why did this happen to us? People usually do not like nor understand the answers. Linda Moloney

All in the name of religion? How many lives have lost in the name of religion, in its many forms and incarnations, over the aeons? And will continue to be lost for the same crazy ideals and beliefs. And I am not necessarily talking about the " enemy ".
Adrian Norgate

It is a very sad thing that has happened to our world and it has not been the same place for us in the west since September 11. However, in the context of global disaster this is a notable but not isolated incident and the death toll in many modern conflicts has been much higher than the unfortunate toll in the World Trade Center. It does not take much of an investigator to find that the common element in most modern bloodbaths has been an American military presence.

Australians, being American allies, can breathe a sigh of relief. Until September 11 we had something in common with america in that no modern war has set foot on our soil, but now we are on our own since America declared the war on shadows (terrorism) after her major city was assaulted in a very cruel manner. Interestingly within a few hours of the disaster happening the name of the guilty party was thrown up and has not changed since, with America unerringly pursuing a path of military conflict with the alleged perpetrators. I say alleged because our justice system always presumes innocence unless guilt is proven but this is no ordinary matter.
There is no doubt that the war in Afghanistan can be likened to a lynching mob chasing the accused before the trial. The sad part of it is that the accused are resourceful equipped people who have been given weeks to prepare for this onslaught. They are not, it could be presumed, the ones who will suffer the most from this conflict. Rather the common people who have lived and do live in a land ravaged by wars financed by superpowers will get hurt. Food parcels left in the wake of destruction if you are lucky enough to survive, could be seen as insult to injury, and will only last for a few weeks of the many years it will take to rebuild a war-torn land.
As Mr Bush so aptly pointed out in his emotive address to his nation, not one American life was lost in the air conflict over Kosovo. The fact that thousands of lives were in fact lost didn't even get a mention. Those people out there who have some emotion felt the anguish of thousands of people in the Balkans as their tragedy was so lightly brushed aside, for national pride. The fact that half a million people have died in Iraq due to starvation through trade (American) sanctions never makes it into our news, but it probably is not so easily disregarded if it is your family which is suffering such a languishing death. The Palestinians who were so repeatedly shown cheering on the news probably get a very different broadcast to ours. One that is full of personal tragedy, death and hopelessness. The hate fuelling propaganda potential but was not overlooked by the media who played that tape repeatedly in the midst of items about the horror that people experienced in the World Trade Center. The fact that misguided individuals even in Australia started attacking innocent schoolchildren is not surprising. Our election could be seen as being timed to win the heart of that Hansonite voter who will make so much difference to the outcome. If our children get sent to some pointless war that could have been avoided if superpowers stopped meddling in the affairs of nations who have no other means of retaliation except terrorism then some solution might be found. Also the fact that Ronald Reagan once referred to our chief suspects as "freedom fighters" in an emotive address to the same nation, means that there has been a considerable change of heart somewhere. The question must be asked, "how can yesterday's freedom fighter become today's international terrorist? It seems that the schoolyard bully approach hotly pursued by superpowers must be reigned in before any real sense can be made of this situation and one should never forget that like begets like. Frank Serpo

I read somewhere, and I wish I could remember where: "An eye for an eye, makes two people blind." (Gandhi said: An eye for an eye ends up leaving the whole world blind. - Ed) I think the bombing is pointless. The terrorist group is not concentrated in Afghanistan but globally. The individuals who hijacked the planes that crashed onto the WTC and the Pentagon lived in the US. The bombings in Africa were done by people residing in Kenya and Tanzania, and as I understand, they work from independent/individual terrorist cells. Bombing or destroying a few terrorist camps in the Middle East won't prevent groups from all over the world from attacking again.

There is no easy solution, and we know, negotiating has not yielded results. However, I don't believe aerial strikes are the answer either. We are intelligent enough to find cures for illnesses, invent new technologies, write wonderful literature, compose magical works of music, I think we can come up with a solution that is less destructive and more humane. One of the things that makes us different from the rest of the animal kingdom is our ability of critical thinking. Why aren't we using it? PS: Dropping humanitarian relief packages at the same time they bombard is kinda like an oxymoron, in my book it doesn't qualify as a "better solution". Paula Nicholson (American living in Australia)

If you are for war, then you are against peace. War is never a solution, just the start of many more problems. Surely the mistakes of human history can't be repeated again? Duncan Cumming

Is John Keegan's curious conclusion that the West's counter-offensive "will prevail" supposed to make us somehow feel more secure and less guilty about the additional civilian lives lost in Afganistan? Just for how long will it prevail? You would have to be extremely naive to believe that the current wave of counter-violence will resolve the fundamental philosophical differences between what America stands for and what so many other people in the world despise.
Ivan Lutrov

It is sad that all of the world's worst fears have suddenly, and unequivocally, been presented by means of a most heinous and reprehensible event. It is also unfortunate to note that it is most likely that these events were the wake-up call that the world needed. The world has become far too self-involved and egotistical that we forget that there are still victims of war, in spite of the fact that we (the Western world) believed (foolishly) that peace had been concluded. Whilst half the world is hell-bent on retribution, we must not forget that the Afghans are people as well - if anything these events were a cry for help. The whole world is now aware of the problems that have plagued Afghanistan since the invasion of the Red Army in 1979, and have reappeared with the oppression of the Taliban. It is well for the world to promise retribution and retaliation for the events of September 11, but is the Western world willing to continue to follow the precedent established after World War II (as in Germany and Japan), of giving war-torn countries the desperate fiscal and industrial help they need? For some cynical reason, I believe not.
Graeme L. Krutli

I am a 13-year-old boy from Melbourne, Victoria. Like most people, I am supporting the Americans. I think that the Americans have every right to bomb Afghanistan, but at the same time, I think that they don't. It is good that they have retaliated, because what happened on September 11 deserves to be punished. But, from what I heard, they have already killed 22 civilians, which is an unfortunate thing considering that these people had nothing to do with the terrorist bombing. But the terrorists attacked the World Trade Center, which killed thousands of innocent people. Both sides are both righ and wrong in a way. However, I have to side with the Americans, because the terrorists attacked the World Trade Center for no reason, and the Americans are attacking for a reason: Retaliation.
Danny Nguyen

The US and its allies should start bombing and keep it going until the Taliban not only give up Osama bin Laden but hand over rule of Afghanistan to the UN. The Taliban are the world's biggest suppliers of opium and are as bad as the demented sociopath they harbor, they just use more subtle tactics. Sasha Cottman

War is terror.
Matthew Mayne

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you murder the hater; but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

An eye for an eye ends up leaving the whole world blind. - Gandhi Maybe we should at the reasons for terrorism and why America was attacked. If you look at the history of America's involvement in the Middle East then you come closer to understanding why this has happened. Ben Kavanagh

There is uncertainty in the air. Many people are questioning whether the US is taking the correct action and what the possible consequences will be. Persecution of our Muslim community? Further terrorist attacks (biological)? Increasing world conflict? By creating this unease in all of us the terrorists have been thoroughly successful in their September 11 attack.

Initially I thought our Prime Minister was too quick to offer allegiance to the US in this fight, after all, that offer has serious consequences for our country and military personnel. However, we must not forget the sheer horror and terror of September 11. In excess of 5000 lives were lost! It is the perpetrators of this terror that the US and its alliance are trying to destroy. Criminals. Criminals who have the capability of introducing terror into all of our lives. We thus label them as terrorists. A frightening statistic reported in the media is that over the last couple of years something in the order of 50,000 people have gone through the training camps of Afghanistan; 50,000 criminals now capable of creating their own brand of terror throughout the world from Palestine to Australia. How could we possibly eradicate this threat via peaceful means? And thus the bombs must fall on the training camps within Afghanistan to isolate and destroy the capabilities of the likes of Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda to train more criminals. We are not attacking Afghanistan per se but those behind the terror attacks committed at the WTC. Thus we must be confident and stand by our politicians and also our troops, when they do eventually deploy. Simon Keily

One world, one love should be all at the heart of everyone's consciousness. In times like these this becomes a dream that seems out of reach of reality, but it isn't! When there is conflict, both sides believe in their convictions. Where there is war, care for life seems to get diverted by all concerned and replaced by human imperfections such as dishonesty, self-centredness, self- righteousness and justifications for the most evil of atrocities. Nobody wants to live in a world of fear. This planet provides us all the opportunity to experience a belonging to the greatest fellowship in our known universe, mankind. Once we all can embrace a common outcome to better all of mankind, the outcome has been achieved. My children, your children, deserve the right to a free and loving world, that is shared by all races and religions. Until the day all believe this to be true, there will be war. Scott Morgan

I am currently living in Brazil as an exchange student. Like the rest of the world I saw the actions of September 11th unfolding upon the television in disbelief. I stood and watched and did not want to believe as the television played over and over those moments when lives were shattered. I immediately thought of my home and family in Australia, of my cozy little town in rural Victoria, of my friends. I felt sick in my stomach, not as though I had been stuck, but as though I was falling without knowing where I might land. Of a dreadful uncertainty. The oceans and land between me and my family seemed so great a distance, such an unpassable barrier.

I longed to just see my mum and say 'I'm ok, don't worry' and for her to say the same, just to hear her voice. I thought this without really knowing why, I told myself this is not Australia, not your own country. But the feeling did not diminish. I stood and stared, over and over and over. I heard the word war and the feeling grew inside me, refusing to go away no matter what I told myself. War had always been a childhood game in the bush for me, something to pass an afternoon with my friends. We would run and hide and yell 'bang, I got you', then laugh and not think of growing up. Just kidīs stuff. Now, the word scares the hell out of me. Childhood seems such a long way away and this word, war, is going to be a reality for so many people just like me. Young and full of dreams, notions of the world we live in. I feel afraid thinking what this word - war - will do, of what it has already done, to people like me. I do not mean only Australians, but the young of the world. Where will all the dreams go, up in the smoke of a dozen cruise missiles? My host mother here in Brasil, asked me if I would go to war, since Australia is involved. I did not know what to say in response. I thought and thought, I love my country, but do I want the blood of someone with this very same notion on my hands? I did not know what to say. I did not want to respond, or be asked this question in the first place. I suppose I am lucky to be asked, there must be millions who are never given the choice. I hear and see both Osama bin Laden and George W. Bush praising God and asking for his protection and guidance. I wonder where his place is. I wonder if they are both talking to the same god and how such heinous acts are carried out in his name. I do not know how anyone, President Bush or Osama bin Laden, can justify the use of the words war and God when we see all that has happened in the past because of them. I thought, naively, I lived in an age and country where war was not a reality, but it most sadly is. And I cannot help but feel that we are all falling.
Clancy Bennett

I feel offering military aid to this "war on terror" is one of the many poor decisions our little John has made. I saw him on local TV last night and cringed at his every word. He said 'we have no choice'. I think that is the way he would prefer things to become in Australia. I am now truly embarrassed to say I am Australian. We are already immensely disliked throughout Asia and this has only added to prevailing anti-Australian sentiment of our nearest neighbours. I reside in an Islamic Asian country and feel that I have a more clear picture of sentiment towards Australia as a nation from South East Asians.

Australia could have easily voiced support for the West and backed this through diplomatic and policy development without sticking its nose in to this extreme. In which case, our position in South East Asia would not have been jeopardised as it has been now. Well done Johnny, we are fast becoming the America of South East Asia.
Ivan Bates

War is no solution. Our civilised world continuously proves that we have absolutely no tolerance to any form of aggression. The terror that occurred at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon on September 11 cannot be condoned. America however has surreptitiously killed untold tens of thousands in countries that it wishes to manipulate. This process is not as graphic as an aircraft crashing into the World Trade Centre as the Americans are well practised in stealth. The world's media should focus on a number of these militarily weak countries that the US targets and then perhaps the support the American's have gained from other countries in its fight against terrorism would diminish.

The truth is that the biggest terrorism bully in the yard is the Americans. Johnny Howard only stands behind the Americans because he is a weak leader and he is a career politician. Australia should distance itself from Americas foreign policies and state very clearly how our policies differ. This, of course, is very difficult with the continuing influx of boat people and our attitudes towards them. I do not believe war against and oppressed nation such as Afghanistan is the solution to terrorism. This action from the Americans is exactly the same action they took against the Japanese after they bombed Pearl Harbour. Retaliate with all possible resources. Ultimately the Americans dropped an untested nuclear bomb on Japan as its military resources after Pearl Harbour were completely depleted. How many people need to die before we can all live peacefully together? Ben Bateman

The primary mandate of a government is to protect its citizens from outside attack, and to maintain internal law and order. It is pathetic that many people in Australia, and indeed worldwide complain about the lack of negotiation when the US engages in "self defence". The US has been abundantly clear of the conditions to avoid the military retaliation, "Hand over the perpertrators of the terrorism."

It seems to me that the warlike factions of Islam wherever they are, are quick to judge the US's actions, and fail to see that the mass destruction of civilians, an act of war, has precipitated a worldwide response to terrorism. The Islamic factions who are so blinded to the reasons for this response, should reflect on their outrage if some "Western terrorist" blew up a Muslim sacred site. Try and tell me if they wouldn't demand justice, and for the terrorists to be handed over. I think their response would be far less courteous than the one being meted out currently by the world. I would think that it would be highly unlikely that humanitarian concern for the locals in the form of food drops and relief would be part of their response. It would be more likely that it would be an all out aggression and retaliation, given their current state of thinking and protestation. Phil Cogger

Like many people I have spoken to over the last few weeks, in Australia and overseas, I think the elimination of poverty is a far cheaper, more certain and more humane way to eliminate terrorism. Without knowing the figures, I am certain that with 10 per cent of expected military expenditure, every Afghani could be fed, clothed and educated.

To eliminate terrorism one must address the root causes of unhappiness and hatred, as well as the hothouse for breeding hatred that poverty, dislocation, and lack of dignity create. By supporting societies and economies to the point of relative prosperity, equity and dignity, populations have much more to loose by supporting terrorism than they have to gain. No amount of external ammunition dumping will eliminate terrorism as effectively as local populations committed to peace. Give people dignity, give them hope, give them a future to look forward to, and they will not support terrorism. Bomb them in revenge, threaten them, humiliate their national pride, and you will very effectively breed the next generation of terrorists happy to die with a crushing plane in the name of religion, in revenge for lost dignity and in revenge of dead brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers. This is happening in Israel, my country of origin, where third generation babies are born in permanent refugee camps without a passport, without a home, with very little to look forward to. Almost every child in those refugee camps have the reason, in the form of a wounded, killed or imprisoned relative or friend, to hate. This is happening in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan and many other countries in the region. The war to end all terrorism will end like the war that was to end all wars. Unfortunately, eighty years on, our leaders haven't caught on.
Elya Tagar