C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brent Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 21:27:41 -0500
Emma wrote:

> I think my childhood- or at least my
> mother's attitudes etc- was very similar to yours; I was in
> mainstream primary school and my mum fought to have
> equipment (ie a small typewriter) provided for me.  She
> also got me playing piano when I was 5 (18 yrs later it's still
> my passion) and had high expectations academically
> (which I met ), so that people wouldn't dare suggest I be
> put in a "special" school.  When my grade 4 teacher
> refused to teach me if I wouldn't "write like everyone else",
> my parents withdrew me from the school.

I think it's important for me to note that I suspect the only reason my
mother got away with what she did (in the South, in a poor rural school
district, in the 1960's) was because I required basically no "special"
accommodations. Had I been in a chair, required personal assistance, or any
sort of mechanical aids to do my work, I believe I would have ended up in
some "warehouse". Home schooling was not legal in NC, then.

> Anyway, I look  forward to getting to know you more.....

Thank you. You've all been most kind. <smile>

Brent