C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 16:23:17 -0500
Thanks, Jenn.  I'll check it out when I get home. :-)

What little I know of dystonia came from a case I dealt with years ago when I was the long-term-disablity program administrator for my division.  My role was to make sure employees who were covered under the LTD plan and were eligible for benefits completed their applications properly and submitted sufficient evidence to prove their cases.  Very frustrating at times, but that's not the point here.

One case I remember in particular concerned an employee in the field who hurt her back and neck lifting boxes.  She exhibited severe dystonia of such a severe type she couldn't control her neck, which was continuously spasming.  Her two doctors wrote on her behalf, and we covered her benefits, but I recall we had the worst time convincing Social Security she was really and truly disabled. (SSDB offsets our monthly benefit if the employee receives SSDB, so it's in our interest and the employee's to get SSDB as SSDB grows with cost of living adjustments every year but our monthly benefit does not.)  I talked to her a lot on the phone, and the poor woman was in constant pain.

BTW, Jenn, you mentioned London, and I assume it's London ONT.  I have a cousin who lives there.

Kat

"St. John's University Cerebral Palsy List" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Kat is esentially right in her definition. Dystonia is writhing movements
and painful almost constant spasms in the affected limbs. I have dystonic
postures in all four limbs, unfortunately. Dystonia can affect sleep,
movement, postures, the tightness of limbs.

A GREAT WEBSITE TO GO TO TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT IT IS:
http://www.wemove.org/dys_pat.html

Hope this helps.
Jenn