C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rayna Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 16:32:16 +0800
Hi Kathy,

Been racking my brains after reading your message, I was sure there
was at least one other movie I knew of which had a disabled character
that was just `part of the gang' so to speak, without the usual
(mostly patronisingly icky) focus on the disability - then it came to
me - `Four Weddings and a Funeral'.  Another one with the scrummy Mr
Grant in it (I saw it about 10 times when it first came out - had a
LOT of spare time on my hands in those days *g*), and also produced by
the same people who did `Bridget Jones' and `Notting Hill'.
The disabled character was the brother of HG's character, who was deaf
and used sign. (the brother - not HG, my brain is fuzzy so I'm not
sure if I'm making sense)  Don't know if the actor himself was deaf or
if they used a hearing actor who knew sign, but the character was
naturally incorporated into the film and no fuss was made about him.

Rayna
(btw - Kathy, love the Conrad quote you are using at the end of your
posts!)