AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
catchme ifucan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:54:12 -0700
Thanks to Fabu; Alex and all for the replies on my question.

One of the things I noticed was that the Madison landlords are apparently
discriminating against disabled people, because the City Council, according
to the newspaper (I don't live in Madison now), failed to approve a law
banning discrimination of people on section 8 programs, which means, mostly
the poor and disabled.

Madison used to be looked on as a very progressive town, but now that all
former leftists/war protesters have entered the the establishment, maybe
things have changed?

From what I've been able to determine the vacancy rate is fairly low;
but the rents for a room or studio, while high, reflect conditions in
most cities. But alot of cities are making efforts to get more HUD and
low income housing, but I don't see Madison doing this from the press
I see on it. Too bad. Bad for Wisconsin, bad for Madison, bad for the
disadvantaged, but good for landlords.